PSA: Windows 8.1 now available through Windows Store

Scorpus

Staff member

The clock has just ticked over 4am in Redmond, Washington, and that means Microsoft has begun the rollout of Windows 8.1 around the globe. The update is free to download for all Windows 8 users, so head in to the Windows Store app to find out how to upgrade.

For those who haven't yet upgraded to Windows 8, starting on October 18th you'll be able to pick up a full copy of Windows 8.1 from your favorite retailer. New hardware packing Windows 8.1 will also be available starting October 18th, in case you'd like new hardware to go with your software upgrade.

As previously reported, the update brings a number of new features and improvements over Windows 8. The Start button will partially return, search and multi-tasking have been greatly enhanced, the Start screen has been improved including new customization options, and the OS has been optimized for smaller tablets.

If you've managed to install Windows 8.1 already, or you've been using it since it was available on MSDN/TechNet, tell us your thoughts on the OS in the comments below. Also, don't forget to read Julio's thoughts on what Microsoft got right in Windows 8.1, and what's still missing.

Permalink to story.

Downloading as we speak... Just in time for my new computer. Question: are third-party start menus for w8 working on w8.1?

If the download doesn't arrive on your Store go to "ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade" on your browser and you will find it.

It doesn't look like it has been released for everyone quite yet. I went to the store and couldn't find anything associated with Windows 8.1 other than a bunch of apps. I tried the search suggested by bugejakurt and it just takes me to the main page in the store, again with no upgrade information, just stuff on the NFL.

I'm wondering if the installer from (online microsoft store during the 39.99$ promo period) https://www.mswos.com/ is also updated to windows 8.1 . this is important to me since I have a slow internet connection and have to upgrade three computers to windows 8.1 . anybody with no monthly data cap and fast internet connection can test it? thanks. :)

Sweet, ill download it once I get home, this laptop im on still is Windows 7.

My Desktop is Windows 8

Windows 8.1 upgrade assistant is still not available at 10PM Philippine time. (from a windows 7 desktop computer)

Be warned, this pretty much wipes installed applications from the system, the directories will still be there but the registry appears to be cleaned with a fresh 8.1 install. Looking forward to an evening of reinstalling everything.

Be warned, this pretty much wipes installed applications from the system, the directories will still be there but the registry appears to be cleaned with a fresh 8.1 install. Looking forward to an evening of reinstalling everything.
There is a difference between fresh install and upgrade. If you have a choice and selected fresh install, your outcome would be expected. Are you suggesting there is not an upgrade option available, with an install package being advertised as an upgrade?

There is a difference between fresh install and upgrade. If you have a choice and selected fresh install, your outcome would be expected. Are you suggesting there is not an upgrade option available, with an install package being advertised as an upgrade?

I'd like to know too. I'm downloading the update at the moment. The reason I didn't install the preview on my laptop is because I would eventually have to reinstall all my apps. If there's no "upgrade" option then that would be a real pain. Could someone who has downloaded it please confirm if there's an option to update without having to reinstall apps (specially desktop programs)?

Heads up:
windows 8 key does not work for windows 8.1 upgrade assistant WindowsSetupBox (4.72mb): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

I will try to download windows 8.1 update from within windows 8 app store tomorrow.

this is a sad day for me since I cannot make a bootable usb/iso/dvd installer for my 3 computers with windows 8. I have a ~10gb monthly data cap and if windows 8.1 update is ~2-3gb, then I'm done.:'(

Nice update though this could have been done in a service pack.

All my applications are still installed but my start screen was wiped out.

Heads up:
windows 8 key does not work for windows 8.1 upgrade assistant WindowsSetupBox (4.72mb): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

I will try to download windows 8.1 update from within windows 8 app store tomorrow.

this is a sad day for me since I cannot make a bootable usb/iso/dvd installer for my 3 computers with windows 8. I have a ~10gb monthly data cap and if windows 8.1 update is ~2-3gb, then I'm done.:'(
This is like any service pack we used to get before but only change is you upgrade using windows store instead of windows update
You need windows 8 already installed to update to 8.1 for free
To do a clean 8.1 install its not possible with windows 8 key
From Friday you can purchase a version for clean install with a windows 8.1 key
Just think windows 8.1 of as a big service pack if you already have windows 8

Note you wont loose any programs with upgrade from windows store its keeps all programs and files

I cannot comment on the 'Metro' part as I do not use it, but the only 'technical' problems I have had are
-the HD3000 graphics driver was disabled, had to go to Intel, manually search (autosearch doesn't work in IE 11) redownload and install driver and it was fixed
-some passwords saved in IE 10 don't seem to be there anymore (like for TechSpot)
-Adobe Acrobat Pro X buttons don't work in IE 11.
-it changes your windows update settings, there are already security patches for 8.1, trued to 'hide Bing Desktop' next button remained dim and useless, only cancel button was there, so I clicked on the X to close the window.
Metro looks better, but you cannot uninstall some apps like SkyDrive, and MS tries very hard to get you to sign up for a MS account during install which you do not have to do.

Its better to use Microsoft Account as will it remember all your apps and settings
and also when upgrading will load all your apps again without having to re-install your apps
also skydrive will have all your files

The day I am forced to give Skydrive my files knowingly and with my consent is the day I kill myself. The cloud in itself is a good idea, but with major, major websites getting hacked on a constant basis, even source code for applications much less than millions of consumer info being stolen, unless security can be improved (and I think Richard Snowden proved that that is currently impossible) there is no chance I will use it. I have already received a letter from an agency of the Canadian Government telling me that all my personal info has been stolen, asking if I want a record of this put in my credit report. Having anything in the Cloud is foolish IMHO.
All my apps work with the upgrade, few minor glitches, that's all
I already know my computer is a porous as a sieve, to put stuff on someone else's machine...if I have a choice...no thanks

To be clear, I was just reading more about the Microsoft Account and SkyDrive and if that is what you want to use I am totally fine with that. Problem is I have no other devices to sync, I have no tablet, no cell phone, I prefer all my data on my local machine, I don't need another e-mail address etc. I can handle my own back ups. In other words I have no use for a Microsoft Account and SkyDrive, but they are doing everything short of coming to my house and installing it or force installing it through my computer to get me to use it.
All I want is that they respect my decision. This is what they seem increasingly unwilling to do and why I am so PO'd
So o.k. maybe I won't kill myself, but it may soon be time to take the computer outside, apply Thermite and move likely to a Third World country where I can still live in peace

Back