PSK vs EAP

Jskid

On my wireless router it has the option to choose between PSK and EAP. What is the difference? I have the security configured as WPA2 only using AES cipher.

By the way, the configuration page came with a default "pin". What's a pin? Should I "generate a new one"?

PIN is normally used for WPS. This is when you select "use WPS!" on your wifi device, then you press the WPS button on your router. It works similar to syncing your Xbox controller.

PSK is pre-shared key, which is what you'll want. This allows you to set a password of your choosing, and use this to connect other devices.

EAP is the framework regarding authentication and has various flavours. I'm... too tired to explain further, so read this if you want more info.

jobeard can give you more info. :)

WPS looks great at first glance and makes a wireless printer connection easy and sometimes is the ONLY way to do so :sigh:

HOWEVER, WPS also creates an encryption key that is just impossible for other wifi users to implement.

The solution I've used is to FIRST setup the SSID and the encryption choice manually BEFORE installing the WiFi printer. Get at least one wifi device to correctly find and connect to your new SSID. THEN install the WiFi printer and when it ask "Is this your first connection?" reply NO. The instructions will seem strange (it will ask to be wired via USB), but it will work correctly if you take your time. This will result in a WiFi key your users can actually use and a wifi printer that will be network accessible as well.

Back