Psu dead...i think

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry my first post is asking for help, but here goes

got a new pc couple of months ago, working fine,

got a virus, but couldnt be bothered to sort it there and then, so turned pc off

turned on next day, and i think i got rid of it, then left the pc on all day came back and it was turned off

now it wont turn on at all, not lights or anything come on

but wen i hit the power button, one of the fans does still twitch (altho that could jus be a cap discharging)

is this gonna be the psu? and is it definately nothing to do with the virus?

thanks, all help grately appretiated

You May Need To....

This is an issue you're going to have to solve with a known good PSU and/or a digital voltmeter. If your virus infection has gotten as far as the OS/BIOS power dialog it seems likely that you would need to replace the hard drive, or at least have it wiped. Some viruses survive a cold reboot, and some do not.

The Web Site Is Not Letting Me Edit

Perhaps a CMOS reset in the BIOS might be needed.

I'm sorry, it was IE6, The Verizon DSL Yahooized version, not letting me edit. I forgot I was using it. Long live Firefox!

sorry my computer knowledge is good but not brilliant

what is a CMOS reset??

if this doesnot work then the next thing to try would be a new psu i suppose

if it got as far as a new hdd how would i go about getting it wiped but keeping xp?? take it too a shop?

A CMOS reset is done by unplugging the power plug from your computer and removing the silver CMOS battery on the motherboard for a minute or so. Many motherboards have a CMOS reset jumper too. This jumper is near the CMOS battery. Move the jumper to the clear position for a few seconds and replace the jumper to the normal position, and reboot the computer

"Am I right in thinking everythong will work again??"

There's no guarantee, but trying it won't hurt...

Auchtung!....Halt

"A new computer" is simply not enough information to suggest a concrete course of action. 1st: doesn't do squat could also be a hardware (CPU or Mobo)problem.
2nd: some brands of computers come with the Windows Back-up copy on a partition of the hard drive. Wiping the drive means destroying that copy. Even in the best case scenario (XP is on the restore disc), It means reinstalling the entire operating system. You could try unplugging the hard drive, then try booting the machine. This would show you if the BIOS is operative.

rite, cmos reset worked, and the computer now boots all the wasy to desktop,
:)

jus gotta get rid of virus now
:(

thanks for everyones help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back