PSU died after a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznn3rd

After getting an EA430 at newegg and being very satisfied, it suddenly died on me while playing TF2. It is really weird and forced me to revert back to my old PSU which meant uninstalling my 3850 as well. Should PSUs die so quickly? I thought Antec was a reliable company. Did I just get unlucky and get the 1/100,000 faulty PSU?

Probably just unlucky yes. The fact of the matter is, nothing is perfect. Including manufactured goods.

Electronics seem to fail more often than not either within the first few weeks of use, or they don't fail for many years. You, sadly, experienced the former :(.

I would not let this discourage you from buying another Antec PSU.

just bad luck
the PSU is good enough for your system
but add another drive and I say you need 500 to 600 watts
I don't know what you need for the vid card
I always go 30% more in power when building a system

Any electrical part can fail at any time for no good reason.
Antecs have been failing a lot lately... in fact, we have placed them on our no-no list.
Newegg replaced it, right?
Usually, a power supply failure is not related to power, but a failed chip or component. They are all made by machine now, and 93 percent of all power supplies are made in one province in China.
There is a source on this forum where someone has accumulated a list of all good and not so good power supplies. It is far from perfect, but remains very useful.

Interestingly, when I game sometimes, a certain fan in my computer goes to 100% for a few minutes. At first I thought it was the video card, then the CPU fan, but now I realize it was probably the PSU. I think the problem was that some part of it was malfunctioning and led to overheating. When the PSU finally broke down, I could smell a little smoke from the back of it.
I am currently in the process of RMAing it, but the process is a real hassle. :(

raybay said:
Any electrical part can fail at any time for no good reason.
Antecs have been failing a lot lately... in fact, we have placed them on our no-no list.
Newegg replaced it, right?
Usually, a power supply failure is not related to power, but a failed chip or component. They are all made by machine now, and 93 percent of all power supplies are made in one province in China.
There is a source on this forum where someone has accumulated a list of all good and not so good power supplies. It is far from perfect, but remains very useful.

Can you prove either of those statements Raybay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back