PSU for 7600GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ossett

Hi folks, hope you can help. I'm getting a GeForce 7600GT (AGP) for my birthday to replace my aged FX5500 (AGP). Problem is my current PSU is only 300w and I don't think it's going to be enough for the new video card.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some info on what PSUs will run the 7600GT, looking to spend as little as possible (aren't we all). I've tried to do my own research on the 'net but it really is a messy place, especially when it comes to graphics cards. Here's what I mainly need to know:

Do I need to buy a PSU with a special 12v rail?

Do I need to worry about buying the wrong size for my case?

What's all this about switching and being intel approved, is there anything else I should look out for?

I'm so lost at the moment any help will be greatly appreciated...

P.S. I'm in England, i'm sure most PSUs cater to all popular voltage markets but just wanted to let you guys know just in case, we're on the 230v/240v system over here.

measure the dimensions on your old psu, that would solve your "would my new psu fit" problem. I wouldnt think you need more than 450watts on a psu. Another thing people always try to do is skimp on a psu. If your psu is cheap and wind up blowing up under full load, guess what's going to go with it? Possibly everything. In order to find what kind of rails you need you could look up your card on a site, see what kind of pwr it requires. and find a psu that has that connection.

Here in the States you can get a good FSP (Fortron Source) psu rated between 350 - 400 watts for around $35USD. More important than the Watts are the Amps supplied on the 12+ Volt lines. With a 350 watt FSP you would be getting around 24amps, which would be fine for the 7600.

I bought a 7600GT (AGP) just a few days ago. I'm very happy with it. I'm running a 350Watt PSU but I've also got a few extra fans etc and I've got absolutely no problems power wise. I'm in England too, so you should be fine. You'll need a spare power connector though cos it does need its own supply. OC's nicely too :)

I had a 7600GS 128mb PCI-E, i Believe that the box said PSU Req's were 450w. if you still have the box check that if not check the manufacturer site. Evga, bfg, asus, gigabyte, xfx; which ever one you have, the specs should be there.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Scorpius could you give me the name of your power supply it would be real handy to check out the stats of a PSU that I know will definitely work so I know exactly what i'm looking for. I didn't quite understand what you meant about needing a spare power connector though, could you be more pacific?

Would this work on a 7600GT do you think:

http://www.cclonline.com/product-in..._id=263&manufacturer_id=0&tid=0761345-06351-7

Your best bet is to look at the label of your psu you have now. There should be a figure stating maxium watts on the 12v. If it lists total and then an amount for 3.3 and 5 add those together and then subtract from the grand total. The maximum wattage for the 12v divided by 12 give you the amp total on the 12v. You would need for the 7600GT something like 22. Ratings and actual totals can be very different depending on the quality of the psu. I have a 305w psu but have 22amps on the 12v and I run a 8600GT XXX on my stock 305w psu(Dell). If you need a new one take this into account when looking for one. I just saw a 580w psu and the amps were 30.

I just downloaded PC Wizard 2007, god I love techspot, i've been floundering around the internet for ages not really learning anything. Anyway this is what it says about my current power supply:

Voltage CPU - 1.34v
+3.3v - 3.30v
+5v - 5.00v
+12v - 15.35v

This is from my current PSU which is an [ ATX - 300 GTF ] - according to the label. Anyone think the 7600GT will work with this power supply?

I wish I could find the power supply needs for the 7600GT somewhere but all I can seem to find are retail sites with very little real info on the card's specifications.

You have to physically look at the label on the psu and the the wattage totals or I can't help you. There is no program for that.

Those values are for your bios power settings.
| Output | +3.3V | +5V | +12V1 | +12V2 | + 12V3| +12V4 | -5V | -12V |5Vsb
| 750W__|_24A__| 30A |_18A__|___18A_| __18A_|18A/22A | - |__0.5A_|3.0A

Your PSU side should look something like this. most likely being an OEM case psu your list will be much shorter.

Ossett said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Scorpius could you give me the name of your power supply it would be real handy to check out the stats of a PSU that I know will definitely work so I know exactly what i'm looking for. I didn't quite understand what you meant about needing a spare power connector though, could you be more pacific?

Would this work on a 7600GT do you think:

http://www.cclonline.com/product-in..._id=263&manufacturer_id=0&tid=0761345-06351-7

That should be fine for you mate. I can't tell you the stats of my supply as I'd have to open my case up and take it out which I cant be bothered to do just now, but I built the pc myself a couple of years back and its a pretty cheap supply as I remember skimping on it and it works fine. You won't have probs unless you have some other high-drain equipment in your case. As a side note, do try and surge protect your pc. Think my GF may have learned the hard way with that one!
By spare connector I mean you need one of the clear 4socket heads that are part of your ATX supply. The ones that plug into your drives etc. You should have a few spares lying around by default.

ps If you live anywhere near the NEC there's a computer fair on at the MC museum there every saturday, and a guy there sells 400W PSUs for £14 with RTB warranty. He's there every week.

Thanks Scorp, now I don't have to worry about not buying a PSU with the right connections. NEC is a little too much out of my way i'm afraid but as long as I know what I want CCL is nice and close to me. How do I surge protect? (software or hardware?)

Check back soon kpo6969 i'll take my computer apart first thing in the morning and get the info you asked for.

Still haven't found a specific page detailing the 7600GTs power needs, i'd be grateful if anyone knows any good info sites they can share wimme.

The 7600GT would need a 450W PSU. Try any 450W PSU from Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax and Fortron FSP.

Thanks so much you've all been really helpful. I ripped the back of my machine and here's what I saw...

Fortron FSP
ATX - 300GTF
+3.3v - 20A
+5v - 30A
+12v - 13A

I think it tells us what we've already established, my PSU ain't gonna be running a 7600GT, unless I unplug everything else on my PC, and even then I wouldn't stand close to it when I turned the power on.

So i'm going to go hunt for a 350w+ (pref 450w) PSU from either Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax or Fortrton FSP that's got at least 22A on the 12v line. Whose Dimensions are around w150 x h90 x d140mm.

Let me know if i've missed anything out, thanks again guys I was clueless before this thread.

P.S. Let me know if you've know of any cheap PSU that fits the above description :)

I think this PSU is a good-quality, inexpensive PSU. It has two +12V rails that put out a combined total of 34A. Perfect for what you have in mind.

I own that PSU which Rage has recommended above and I can vouch for it. Its a good PSU for a good price. Plus the 80% efficiency will save you on bills too.

Damn I wish i'd visited my thread earlier, went to my local computer hypermarket and there were a few great PSUs on clearance including this one for 28quid:

http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...y_id=263&manufacturer_id=0&tid=761345-07644-9

I didn't want to risk getting them because they had like 2 or 3 12v rails each holding 18A, i didn't know whether a 22A graphics card would be able to run with a max 18A on each rail.

One had 3 x 12v rails each with 18A and underneath it stated a combined wattage of 504w, would this have been enough for my 7600GT?

When it says 3 rails i'm thinking 3 connection cables each capable of powering a device of up to 18A, am I mistaken?

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I think this PSU is a good-quality, inexpensive PSU. It has two +12V rails that put out a combined total of 34A. Perfect for what you have in mind.
This psu has 30amps on the 12v rails. You can't just add what 12A+12B and use that total.
maximum wattage figure on the 12v
divided by 12 equals amps on the 12v rails

Ossett said:
Damn I wish i'd visited my thread earlier, went to my local computer hypermarket and there were a few great PSUs on clearance including this one for 28quid:

http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...y_id=263&manufacturer_id=0&tid=761345-07644-9

I didn't want to risk getting them because they had like 2 or 3 12v rails each holding 18A, i didn't know whether a 22A graphics card would be able to run with a max 18A on each rail.

One had 3 x 12v rails each with 18A and underneath it stated a combined wattage of 504w, would this have been enough for my 7600GT?

When it says 3 rails i'm thinking 3 connection cables each capable of powering a device of up to 18A, am I mistaken?

This psu has 32amps on the 12v rails, very good.

kpo6969 said:
This psu has 30amps on the 12v rails. You can't just add what 12A+12B and use that total.
maximum wattage figure on the 12v
divided by 12 equals amps on the 12v rails
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info mate. Regarding the second PSU however, wouldn't the amps per rail be lower than the one I recommended, seeing that it has three +12V rails compared to the one I proposed?

So when a PSU has multiple rails just add up ampage on the 12a 12b etc to find the maximum you're capable of running? sorry short message at the in-laws

Ossett said:
So when a PSU has multiple rails just add up ampage on the 12a 12b etc to find the maximum you're capable of running? sorry short message at the in-laws
No.
On the psu label itself you need to find the maximum wattage amount on the combined 12v
Or some are labeled as total maximum combined wattage and then give you a figure for the combined 3.3 and 5v. You would have to subtract that amount from the combined total to get the 12v amount.
This is an example for my psu: different psu's are labeled differently bear in mind
Dell 305w psu (OEM)
DC OUTPUT: +5V /22A, +3.3V /17A
+12VA /18A, +12VB /18A
-12V /1A, +5Vfp /2A
this is the most important info
+5V and +3.3V shall not exceed 150w
+12VA and +12VB shall not exceed 264w

This is taken directly off the label of my psu, so to figure the amps:
264 divided by 12 = 22
My psu is 22amps which is pretty good for a 305w
Don't be misled by a psu that claims it's 500w, do the math and see why it costs only $40, hope this helps

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info mate. Regarding the second PSU however, wouldn't the amps per rail be lower than the one I recommended, seeing that it has three +12V rails compared to the one I proposed?
I didn't know myself, mate. I spent a whole day trying to figure out how Dell sells their XPS line configured with the 8800's with a 375w psu and duals in sli with a 450w psu but this is how, there are quality made and supply the amperage needed. The are some Dell owners that run 7950GT's with the same psu as mine(305w). Go figure?

Here's a good link to a site that figured all the amps for many psu's. It seems to be pretty accurate:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763

Fantastic, thanks everybody, got everything I need to know now, all I have to do is wait another 3 days until payday and I'll be able to throw my FX5500 in the trash, oh baby can't wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back