TechSpot

PSU for AMD 64 x2 4400+

By JohnR
Nov 11, 2005
  1. Ordered my new CPU + Mobo yesterday, now in the process of getting the other bits, I would like a silent, mayb with a blue LED or something, what can you recommend??

2. JerseyDevil13

JerseyDevil13 TS Rookie Posts: 25

is your mobo a sli? if so get at least 600w power supply and I would definatly get geforce 7800 gt or gtx for your GPU and definaly go with corsair xms 2-2-2-5 latency ram at least 1.5 gig preferably 2 gig if you plan on playin BF2,Quake 4, HL2, Doom 3 and so on especially these games if you play on ultra quality they use 512 ram just for added textuing alone so 2 gigs is a must for smooth gameplay on highest graffix settings.

here is my setup:

Fatality a8n sli
    amd 4000+ 1 meg cache
    2 gig xms corsair 2-2-2-5 latency
    2 bfg geforce 7800 gt oc
    600w power supply
    maddog cd+dvd burner
    HD WD sata 120gb 8meg cache
    xp pro sp2

hopefully this is helpfull to you and anymore questions feel free to ask!

Craig

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

You do not need a 600w PSU, that's way too much. Look for a very good & reputed brand. Something along the lines of 400w should do. Look at the different ratings for the voltage lines & that's one area where bigger is better, not overall wattage.

4. JohnR

JohnR TS Rookie Topic Starter

The mobo is an ASUS a8n deluxe. I cant really afford the 7800 gtx right now so im going to make do with my 6600gt. I also ordered 2gb corsair ddr400 (not sure about the latency)

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

I use a 300W PSU on an AMD64/3000, Abit AV8, 1.5GB memory, 1 HD, 2 DVD-burners, Radeon 9600.

Power consumption increases about 10W when I overclock the CPU 25%.

I'd like to know where this 1/2 kW+ PSU trend comes from.

[​IMG]

7. Thrudd

Thrudd TS Member Posts: 47

From all those power hog Graphic cards and systems loaded with way too may DVD/CD drives/burners and HDDs.

On a bare minimum system with 1 HDD and one DVDplayer and a MAD GPU card a 375 is adequate if it is in spec and stable.

But if you have, lets say, a 4 drive RAID 5 array and a pair of DVD burners on top of all that you will quickly run out of voltage overhead and :hotbounce

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.