PSU Help

By Fuggles
Dec 3, 2006
  1. Hi,
    Im looking into building my own gaming system and i am looking for some advice when it comes to choosing a suitable PSU.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Without knowing what you intend to build there is no way to help really!!!!
  3. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

pc power & cooling makes amazing power supplies, i have used thier 1kw turbo-cool and thier 750w silencer on many high-end builds. they are not cheap, but you get an excellent product, probably the best in the industry.

antec ( and thermaltake ( are two others you'll want to check out, particularly the antec neopower line.
  4. Ural_

Ural_ TS Enthusiast Posts: 96

Well for a gaming PC in todays standards it should atleast be above 500watts orelse youve got yourself some problems, a brand name psu should also be chosen nothing generic for a Gaming PC.
  5. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 475

Personally I only use PC Power & Cooling Powersupplies for Gameing PCs and 24/7 applications like servers. They are a little expensive but the rock solid rails and superior reliablility are worth it.

The silencer 750 @$200 is perfect for high end builds other than multiple CPU and quad-sli systems.
    Here is the Dual geforce 8800 GTX certified version If you want to go that route @$220.

If you build an extremly high end system with multiple CPUs and quad sli
    you will need the 1KW model @$550.

Other good PSU manufactures include Antec,FSP,Enermax but PC Power & Cooling tops them all.
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

PC Power & Cooling is a quality manufacturer agreed but pricey as well. Other great alternative makers of superb quality PSUs include Seasonic, Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ and Enermax. I have personally used Antec and OCZ PSUs and they are among the best when it comes to reliablility and performance. I use an OCZ 700W PSU and it's an excellent performer. Plus, it's only $130 on Newegg, which is a steal for such an excellent PSU. And if u NEED a 1kW PSU, try the Enermax Galaxy as a cheaper and equally excellent alternative to the Turbo-Cool from PC Power & Cooling.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.