Psu Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eroz

Ok people, I ordered a new power supply and tried to install it yesterday. I'm pretty sure I had all the connections that I needed all the way in. But when it came time to turn it on, the hdd amber light flickered and then nothing. I tried using a different power cord and a different outlet in another room and still nothing. The way I installed it was with one cooling fan pointing down and of course the other pointing out. But that left the connections on the far right side of the case and made it a tight fit. Did I install it upside down? And would that have caused it to not turn on? Or is it a dead unit?

I ended up reusing the old PSU. Now I am not able to access the internet. It starts up to my home page about 50% of the time and when I go to a different link/page I keep getting a dnserror. I tried connecting the modem directly to the computer but I get the same error. My Vonage phone line still works and my Wii was still able to access the internet. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

1.) Motherboard - First International Computer, Inc. AM37
Chipset - VIA P4M266/KM266 (VT8375)

2.) Graphic Interface - SAPPHIRE 100575L Radeon 9600XT 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card

3.) Memory - 512MB, (just bought a 1GB stick, haven't installed it yet)

4.) CPU - AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Thoroughbred - Socket A (462))

5.) CPU Speed - 2120 MHz

6.&7.) PSU - crappy eMachine original 250W (New one was a ENERMAX EG365P-VE FMA 1.3 ATX 350W)

8.) Chicagoland area.

*edit*

Ok I think I figured out what the problem may be.......I have a 20 pin motherboard and the PSU is a 20+4 pin. could that be it? And if it is, should I get a 20 to 20+4 pin adapter or return the PSU for a 20 pin unit?

That extra 4-pin block is made to break off from the other 20 pins. Take a pair of pliers and gently snap the 4-pin block from the rest of the pins. Plug in the 20 pin block and you're good to go

Tmagic650 said:
That extra 4-pin block is made to break off from the other 20 pins. Take a pair of pliers and gently snap the 4-pin block from the rest of the pins. Plug in the 20 pin block and you're good to go
It came separated. Could it have been a dead unit then???

Ok.....so I guess I will RMA the Enermax PSU for another unit. I just want to check with anyone here if they think there might be a compatability issue with the rest of my components. Here is the one I am getting....http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817103455 it is an Enermax ATX 350W.

1.) Motherboard - First International Computer, Inc. AM37
Chipset - VIA P4M266/KM266 (VT8375)

2.) Graphic Interface - SAPPHIRE 100575L Radeon 9600XT 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card

3.) Memory - 1.5 GB

4.) CPU - AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Thoroughbred - Socket A (462))

5.) CPU Speed - 2120 MHz

6.&7.) PSU - crappy eMachine original 250W

8.) Chicagoland area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back