PSU Installation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

This might be a redundant question, but:
I have a Compaq S5010NX comp with a 250W PSU.
I want to upgrade my graphics card from Intergrated 845G to NVidia Geforce FX5500 PCI GPU. Can I use a 300W PSU from a case that I haven't used to upgrade this PSU, or will there be serious problems? If anyone remembers this, I also created a thread about this same 300W PSU going into a DELL Optiplex comp and not working.
So, my question is: Will the upgrade be successful, or will I fry my mobo?

well..

I think you can keep your original power supply..you are upgrading to a PCI card..if it was agp, it would require more power but its not..Im not sure what you are saying about the othr Dell powersupply

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp Reported that Upgrading to a NVidia Geforce 5500 would use 237W at peak Capacity...So should I upgrade the PSU or not... Also, what I was talking about was that on this Dell Motherboard, proprietary connectors were used, so it was impossible to upgrade the PSU. But, the computer I'm using is a Compaq, not a Dell. So, is it possible to upgrade the Compaq Presario S5010NX with a new PSU, or am I stuck? And should I upgrade for a new Graphics Card?

greatman05 said:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp Reported that Upgrading to a NVidia Geforce 5500 would use 237W at peak Capacity...So should I upgrade the PSU or not... Also, what I was talking about was that on this Dell Motherboard, proprietary connectors were used, so it was impossible to upgrade the PSU. But, the computer I'm using is a Compaq, not a Dell. So, is it possible to upgrade the Compaq Presario S5010NX with a new PSU, or am I stuck? And should I upgrade for a new Graphics Card?

any ATX PSU will work with that compaq. Compaq PSUs are not propriatary. You probably don't need a new PSU psu for that systems. it would help if you would post the full specs (watts and Amps), (also post the brand) of both PSUs so we can determine weather you will gain much from the upgrade.

For COmp Specs, look in my profile under system #1. All I know is that PSU#1 is in the case with a max output of 250W, and the other can put out 300W.

Watts by themselves mean nouthing. the amps rateing is far more important post the amps on the 12v rail(s) for both PSUs (it should be on the sticker) The brand of the new 300w PSU would also help as some brands don't put out what they are raited at.

greatman05 said:
I think the 300W said something like 152W Max on the +12V rail, but I don't remember what the 250W said.

Hmm sounds low most good (ie: antec Enermax,FSP,PC Power&Cooling) 300w PSUs have at least 200W max on the 12v rail and at least 100w max on the 3.3v,5v combined [many "overlap"(max watts of all individual rails added together excedes max total wattage) ie 250w on 12v and 150w on 3.3+5v but only 300w max so both rails can't be maxed out at the same time] but I wil still need tha amps (A) on the 12v rail and the brand to give you an accurite assesment of that PSUs preformance.

I'm sorry, I will have to find that information when I go back home. Will you still be available to help me?

greatman05 said:
I'm sorry, I will have to find that information when I go back home. Will you still be available to help me?

I'll be avalible untill 11:30 PM eastern time (10:30 central) today and will be back on around 3:30 PM eastern time (2:00PM central) tomorrow

There are several other people on this site that also know alot about PSUs (and computers in general) so if you post the specs someone will probably be able to help you.

Psu Specs...Any Comments

In the attached text file, you will find my current PSU information. Based on these facts, should I use my stockpiled PSU, or should I get a new Antec Smartpower PSU?

Nither of those PSUs are rated for that card. Try to find something with at least 20A on the 12v rail

I would hesitate to take the risk of frying the system. Nither of those cheap PSUs has overload protection. Oh and by the way the 300 w PSU would be a downgrade as it has less amps and watts on the 12v rail which is where it is needed the most.

I figured that when I compiled the specs this morning...so you say hesitate...could I put an Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W PSU inside my Compaq S5010NX without problems before upgrading the graphics card?

Thanks for your help!!! I'll get the graphics card first (you never know when it'll stop selling...) and then, when I get my PSU, I'll put the psu and the card in as a sort of double upgrade! Sound like a plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back