PSU Installing Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseywales09

Hey I was thinking about getting a new PSU. I know what im getting but I would like to have a very detailed tutorial. Do any of you know if there is a website for one? I was shown one in an old thread but it doesn't get very detailed. Thanks for any comments.

The tricky part is, it varies from mobo to mobo what will be used and how they'll be hooked up. Really though, PSUs are one of the easier things to do.

I know I am not really giving you the info you want, and I really do hope someone knows of something good. Here is the best one I have ever seen, but again it is very generic, as no ONE tutorial can really cover all the various possibilities.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYPSU.htm

I suppose the MOST important thing, is you get the right PSU for your system. Does it have enough watts? Enough power on the various rails? The right form factor? What kind of connections does your system need (20vs24pin, SATA, SLI etc) After that installation is really quite simple.

Now that would be a good tutorial. How to choose your power supply.

DonNagual said:
The tricky part is, it varies from mobo to mobo what will be used and how they'll be hooked up. Really though, PSUs are one of the easier things to do.

I know I am not really giving you the info you want, and I really do hope someone knows of something good. Here is the best one I have ever seen, but again it is very generic, as no ONE tutorial can really cover all the various possibilities.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYPSU.htm

I suppose the MOST important thing, is you get the right PSU for your system. Does it have enough watts? Enough power on the various rails? The right form factor? What kind of connections does your system need (20vs24pin, SATA, SLI etc) After that installation is really quite simple.
Yeah, that was the one you showed me in the last thread. See I am looking for a more in-depth one. But hey if thats the best it gets I guess It will have to do.

Basically when you take your current PSU out, note how it was installed to the case. Usually you use the same screws in the same places, but read the manual that comes with the PSU to be sure, also read your case's manual. The instructions will be there.

You will then have an installed PSU with a LOT of wires sticking out of it. Next it is just a matter of connecting things. Your most important tutorial will be what is written in your motherboard's manual. It will tell you exactly what needs to be connected and how for almost everything. Here is the basics of what will be connected to your PSU:

1. Motherboard (use your manual to see how many and what type of connection(s) it needs).
2. Newer graphics cards need a 4 pin connection from the power supply.
3. Hard drives need a connection, sometimes a 4 pin, sometimes a special SATA connection (depends on the type of hard drive you have).
4. Floppy drives and optical drives need a 4 pin connection.
5. Sometimes case fans need a connection to the psu directly, sometimes they get connected to your motherboard. Same with your heatsink fan. Read your motherboard manual to find out what it recommends. If you have a 3rd party heatsink fan, read the manual that came with it.

Hope this helps and good luck!

as mentioned earlier by Don, choosing the right PSU is what's important. As far as physically changing the PSU, it is a very simple task. you really can't screw up, each male connector on the PSU will only fit a corresponding female connector on the mobo and other components (think of the shape puzzles that you give little kids where you put the square piece in the square hole... don't put the triangle into the circle hole and you'll be fine... lol :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back