PSU is about to fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainii

I got a thermaltake 420w true power.

Athlon 5000+ overclocked to 3ghz, 2gb ram, 3 hard disks, dvdrw, floppy and 8800GT graphics card.

the PSU is almost 2 years old (I had it in an older, weaker system).

I've been running this config for about 2 months.

today as I was playing Jericho after an hour so the pc turned off instantly (no blue screen or anything, just off, like electricity was lost, but it wasnt, as the mouse still had light and the room still had electricity).

I'm guessing this is a sign that the PSU is going to fail?
I rebooted 2 hours ago and it's ok , but havent played any games yet to stress it.

the thing is , I did log the voltages using speedfan and they were normal at the time the pc went off.

A crash like you experienced could have been caused by a mulititude of problems. Malware, broken memory, bad hard drive, overheating video card or CPU, driver conflict, failing PSU and others I can't think of at the moment. You might try Memtest+ first and then test your hard drive with its' manufacturers disk check utility.

it's not any of the below:
Malware, broken memory, bad hard drive, overheating video card or CPU, driver conflict.

I should have mentioned that system doesn't overheat , at the time of crash cpu was 45c and gpu 60c and mboard 35c while hard drive at 34c.

I think it's definitely PSU.

the thing is, if it fails will it not damage anything else?

it's supposed to have over voltage and other protections built in

When PSUs fail they sometimes take the motherboard with them. I don't know enough about PSUs and over-voltage protection to be able to make any reasonable guess at what could happen in your case.

Before you replace the power supply, open the case and check all the cables to be tight and secure. Also, make sure that the power cable from the wall is secure in the power supply. Are you using a power strip or a surge protector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back