PSU+motherboard issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwarriorx

hi guys,
i have a problem with my dell xps 430 desktop.i've recently bought 650W PSU because current 375 Dell PSU couldn't properly supply me ATI 4850HD.I mean that ingame graphics was sound but the movements and all were followed by lags.i'm aware that this video card requires at least 600W PSU on board so i bought one and installed it.that's when problem started.my dell xps 430 just didn't start.i tried to solve the problem for some time then just phoned dell support.they told me that it's dell's motherboard which has max capacity of handling 425W Dell PSU.So it seems that 650W PSU just crushed dell's motherboard.the quiestion is that,if the motherboard is the only crushed part or some other parts were crushed as well?I mean like video card,proc and all other stuff which is usually placed on motherboard.

i did exactly the same but the system just didn't start.also dell support told me that 650W psu crushed the motherboard.fact is that when i plugged the power cord to the system,light indicator on mobo went on but that's it,system didn't start.

The connector to the mobo carries the same amp/volt no matter the size of the power supply.
Make sure everthing is pluged in correctly. Did the system boot just before you changed the power supply? Didn't knock ram or cpu lose?

yeah,system could start before psu was changed.after it was changed,whenever i tried to start it up,just got front panel amber light flashing once and mobo indicator went on followed by signal.that's it.

The Radeon HD 4850 requires an external power connector, a six pin PCI-E connector. Is this plugged in?

First off Dell support doesn't know what they're talking about (about usual for them). A Powersupply only outputs the amount of power the computer needs and you can not fry a computer by putting in a PSU of too high of wattage. You could run a pentium 1 system drawing 75w on a 1000w PSU if you wanted too.

What PSU did you get? Brand and specs would be usefull (specs are on the label on the side of the PSU). Some off brand/ low end units are overated (state a much higher than actual output) and may not provide enough power. The PSU could also be DOA (dead on arrival). Unfortunately if the replacement PSU was exceptionally low quality and was defective it could fry the motherboard (and/or other components) if it shorted out and lacked the proper protection circuits.

Have you tried going back to the original configuration (put the old PSU back in and remove the video card)?

It is also possible that a bad/improperly seated video card could be the cause of your problems.

Also double check all connectors and make sure there are no pieces of metal (possibly a loose case screw) shorting out any components.

ANTEC EA650-GB/Earth Watts 80+ certified 650W EPS 12v v2.91 and ATX12v
the cost is 80euros,which is 117 $.

problem sorted.system started.i've just removed all parts and reattached them again to motherboard.tnx all for usefull info.

That's a relatively good PSU so It definately should not have fried your motherboard. Even if it was defective It has good protection circuictry which would keep it from doing any damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back