PSU?Motherboard?PCU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrunnermicke

Hi, I have a problem. I got a new pc from a friend of mine. when i start the computer there is no in signal to the screen. I've changed the PSU from other computers (they had allmost the same specifications.)
The computer is an AMD Athlon 2600. Socket462, Geforce 6200 AGP graphic card. 512 RAM. Can the CPU be broken? Can I put in the CPU from my other computer, that is also a socket 462 but AMD Athlon 1600...? If so, is it just to "plug and play" or do I have to install something so it will work?
Or is it that the motherboard is damaged?
I really need help..!
//Mike

Try removing the bios battery for a minute or two then refitting it, it may save you opening up the other pc.

I wouldn't drop in the 1600 CPU just yet until you check the specs on the mobo first. Make sure it can take the 1600, if not the Vcore voltage could be way differnet and you blow up the 1600 CPU. It depends on the mobo and the range of Vcore voltages for the socket 462 series CPUs. I'm not sure if CPUs that far apart are compatible in the same mobo. The other thing, but far less dangerous to the 1600 is the clock frequency, but hopefully the mobo will automatically clock down the FSB to the required setting. If not then the 1600 won't POST either.

Ok.. it sounds a bit scary to change the CPU...=) i will not do it untill i have all the facts for the change.

What do u think, is the CPU problem? or does it sound like anythin else?

//Mike

Ohh... by the way.. for about 6 months ago when my friend still had the computer the sound vanished... He didn't manage to install the soundcard again. Maybe the motherboard have ****ed up.. first soundcard and now graphic card??

Anyone who has an idea what's wrong? What would happend with a computer if the motherboard was damage? would fans go on, hdd?
And what would happen if the CPU was broken?

What would happend with a computer if the motherboard was damaged? would fans go on, hdd?

Yes. We had a damaged board, and all the fans worked, also the HDD. I just didn't POST'ed :(

And what would happen if the CPU was broken?

You'd get a lot of beeps :)

Ok, when i started the computer the first time I got a few beeps.Now i don't get any beeps and all the things are starting up except the screen. can i somehow test if it is the motherboard or the CPU? What do u mean with POST'ed??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back