PSU Popped - Mobo, etc ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

I was sleeping and then at 1am in the morning there was an almighty bang, followed by the smell of new computer. The PC was off at the time.

I think the PSU is BBQ'd.

My question is, I;ve checked the mother board for visual signs of frying. Is there a chance that it's escaped unscathed? There was no lightening at the time.

Thanks

Unfortunately new PC's are always on. You may have shut it down but the PSU is always trickling a little power to the board. Like Duke says get a new PSU and give it a try. Never, ever buy a cheap PSU it will ruin your whole day.

You could buy a power strip with a switch, but if lightning really crashes right into it, that won't save you, I guess, because the resistance within the switch is too weak to withstand such a burst. Your safest bet it is to just completely unplug the PC.

PSU install in progress. Some questions before Launch

Hey All, Please forgive my ignorance. I have little experience with the inner workings of a PC.

I've installed the PSU, it's an Antec 500W. The way it is connecting is different to the Tagan I had in the PC. There are independant 6pin sockets connecting the PSU to the various components.

1. In the old system, they had rigged the second PCI express with a dual molex connector. My new system has two individual PCI express cables. Would I be right in assuming I can use these? or might there be some sort of Voltage conflict?

2. I notice that some of the connectors from the 6pin connector have only 4 metal pins inside. Has this got any significance?

3. I have one cable with Molex connections, connecting to two DVD drives (one connection each), the hard drive and fans running off the third. Will the PSU connection and cable be able to handle this? And will there be potential Voltage conflicts?...please note the fan has a much smaller power connection junctioning off the Molex connection.

4. On the old Tagan PSU, there was a HDD,VGA power cable connecting to the Mobo. I am now using a Molex connection in its place, I inspected the old Tagan cable and it appears to have more wires. Is there a power conflict here?

I am not going to start my system until I am 99% sure that I am not going to BBQ components.

If anyone can set me straight about the wiring it would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back