PSU Reccomendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skitzo_zac

I am in the market for a new computer, i have selected all of my parts except for a PSU. A PSU is the only item i am unsure on, I dont know which brands are good or bad.
I need the powersupply to be from here, because that is where i am buying the whole system from.

I need a powersupply that will power:
Case - Antec Nine Hundred
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
GPU - XFX 8800GTS
HDD - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb 16Mb SATA II
DVD - LITEON SHM-165P6S 16x DVD-RW Dual Layer Black
RAM - G.Skill 1GBNR PC6400 1024Mb/1Gb 2x512Mb DDR2
MONITOR - ViewSonic VA703B 17" LCD
MOUSE - Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
KEYBOARD - Undecided as of yet.
FANS - 2x 120mm fans!

I really need a good reliable long lasting PSU to power that system, any other suggestions regarding to other parts will be appreciated and considered.

The link to the company you are wanting to buy from does not seem to be working.

I have THIS power supply in my system now and love it.

Triple +12v rails (54 amps in total), and modular cables. Nice and quiet, clean power. There are lots of other good ones out there too of course, but I'll put my shout out for this one.

Well for starters, that PSU has sum bad reviews on newegg so it doesnt look like a very good option to me. And its not on PCManiacs which is where im buying everything else from, so i would like on listen on PCManiacs.

PS. fixed url in original post!

142 reviews with an average of 4 stars ain't all that bad, but there is a reason for the bad reviews.

I should have mentioned this in my post above, there was a very well known problem with this power supply when it first shipped, especially with the Asus A8N lineup. However, the problem has been fixed and power supplies shipping now no longer have that issue (just to be sure you don't get an older one, you can check the left side of the bar code on the PSU itself, and you should see a "A3" or higher).

Side note for any A8N board owners who come across this thread, confirm that your motherboard is version 1.02 or later before getting this power supply. Asus apparently is also aware of the issue, and will update your board if you contact them about this.

This PSU does appear to be on the site you are shopping by the way. HERE.

Anyways, they appear to have an AMAZING selection of high quality psus there. I'd recommend staying away from Antec's smartpower series though. They're not bad, but for your system you'll want something from Antec's higher end (not their entry level).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back