PSU Recommendation

By cmcf
Oct 19, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good quality 450W ish PSU. Don't want to spend too much on one though.

Thanks
  2. Druegan

Druegan Newcomer, in training Posts: 26

In my opinion, there's a lot of "you get what you pay for" in the PC power supply market. Personally, I'm a fairly heavy PC user, and, as such, I tend to go for as high a quality on such things as I can afford. Overall, it makes more sense to buy 1 good PSU and not have to worry about it than to buy 3 or 4 'cheapie" PSU's and have to replace it every 4-6 months.

That being said.. I am a *huge* fan of PSU's from PC Power and Cooling. Quality is second to none, and I've had nary a hiccup these last 8 months with mine, despite running 100% cpu usage for the last 6, lots of heavy AV apps, and several power outages.

For the 450W range, I'd recommend their ultra-quiet "Silencer 470 ATX" model.. it's got a 520W peak, runs very quiet, and their overall quality should ensure that it keeps kicking for a long, long time. It ain't the cheapest.. will set you back a hundred bucks plus shipping, but you don't get any better quality for the cash.

Link for ya:
    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S47ATX

Regards,
    Druegan
  3. korrupt

korrupt Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,060

You cannot go wrong with Antec. 450watt smartpower is nice or 470watt truepower too.

Regards,

Korrupt
  4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

PC Power & Cooling is definitely good but for PSUs that won't burn a hole in ur pocket or ur PC, try ones from Antec, Enermax, Thermaltake, Fortron FSP and CoolerMaster. All these brands have high-quality PSUs with very good voltage protection.
  5. Druegan

Druegan Newcomer, in training Posts: 26

I burned out one of those, but I'm not a typical pc user, so I suppose it depends on your needs. I have heard decent things about em though.
  6. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Take a look at THIS ONE. It's a great quality PSU, and from an exceptional manufacturer. It's cheap, and very silent.
  7. Grafficks

Grafficks Newcomer, in training Posts: 454

Consider this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023
    Its a bit lower than the wattage you were looking for, but it is from a reputable manufacturer at a very good price, it's a very popular low-watt PSU (800+ reviews, wow).
    Should be decent as long as you're not an extreme PC user - it does not have dual +12V.
  8. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Why are you guys replying to a thread that`s nearly a year old? :p

Regards Howard :)
  9. wolfram

Oh damn, I didn't look at the date :giddy: :eek:

I guess I need to look at that when replying to a thread :)
  10. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

It`s ok mate, I did it myself a time or two, when I first joined Techspot.

Regards Howard :)
  11. wolfram

But that happens to me very often :eek: And also happens to mailpup too :haha:

12. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

Yikes! It's happened more than once on occasion I must admit.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.