PSU replacement and hard drive compatibility for OLD 1.6ghz athlon socket a

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnyce928

hey guys well here is some info..sorry its not much but im scared the random shutdowns will damage my components.

PC INFO
i got a 1.6ghz Amd athlon socket a 467
windows xp pro
512mb ram
250gb WD ide hard drive 7200 rpm

CPU
my computer turns off randomly i think it might be because of the heat it reaches up to 35 celsius within 10 mins. i had it since like 2002 or 03. i uses a 400 watt psu. i replaced the cpu fan recently with a coolmaster cpu fan and it seem to be a few degree lower but it still shuts down randomly.

PSU
I plan on getting a new psu but unsure which features i would need. I plan on going with a seasonic brand. I just want a psu that will be compatible with my old ide hard drive. Can i hook up my ide and if i buy a sata hard drive together ? sorry guys if this is a stupid question

thanks in advance for your help

I do not recommend mixing IDE with SATA - especially with older motherboards. There are some compatibility concerns with older controllers and boards.
For a PSU, google PSU calculator, add 30% to the results and buy quality.

You'll be fine with just about any decent PSU, seasonic makes decent ones I believe so you should be safe there. New ones have the normal Molex and SATA power connectors, you should be safe there.

Tedster is one of the few on this board that says you can't mix IDE and SATA, I've done it for years and never had a problem, as has every person I've ever talked to except Tedster, so I wouldn't be too concerned with that either. Does that motherboard even support SATA? (Wouldn't matter if it didn't if you used a PCI card)

Also, those Athlon and Athlon XPs can take insane temps, they were just hot running processors, there is no need to be concerned unless you see them up above 75C, and if its a Thunderbird (don't hink they came that fast, but you might have been able to OC one that high) you are safe to 100C.

psu question>> watts and connectors

if a PSU comes with
these connectors
could someone explain what each is for or examples

1 x 12V (P4)
1 x 12V(8Pin)
6 x peripheral
1 x PCI-E
4 x SATA
2 x Floppy

it has this feature -105C capacitors and Single layer PCB
is it worth the extra $$?

and also i could get a psu with 600watts but i know i wont use so much...just around 400watts...does that mean that it will make my pc more hot? like if i buying a lower watt psu would keep the internal temp lower than a higher watt. if my total wattage usage is 380..and buying a 600 watt (for example) would cause the pc to be warmer compared to if i buy a 400 watt

thanks for your prompt reply

SNGX1275 said:
You'll be fine with just about any decent PSU, seasonic makes decent ones I believe so you should be safe there. New ones have the normal Molex and SATA power connectors, you should be safe there.

Tedster is one of the few on this board that says you can't mix IDE and SATA, I've done it for years and never had a problem, as has every person I've ever talked to except Tedster, so I wouldn't be too concerned with that either. Does that motherboard even support SATA? (Wouldn't matter if it didn't if you used a PCI card)

Also, those Athlon and Athlon XPs can take insane temps, they were just hot running processors, there is no need to be concerned unless you see them up above 75C, and if its a Thunderbird (don't hink they came that fast, but you might have been able to OC one that high) you are safe to 100C.
Older MSI mobos, especially with Athlon XP series had difficulty with SATA and PATA together. I know. I tried it. Most new motherboards now apparently don't have an issue. But to be on the safe side for him and to avoid headaches, it would best just to stick with one type.
Also, since his CPU is slow, the faster speed of SATA really can't be justified due to the processor bottleneck. It's just $ wasted in my opinion.

Usually, the problems we have seen have been in the cables and connectors, not the boards themselves.

well i just want the new psu since it has these connections..and when i do get the sata i would get a whole new motherboard. I will get a new cpu and everything..the whole works. I will come back later for someone to help me find the right parts for my custom built pc.

**And i still want to know if my pc only uses 390 watts and i get a lets say a 500 watt psu..does that mean that the pc would be warmer compared to if i bought a 400watt?

thanks

No, there is little relationship from power supply to power supply, where heat is concerned... except the poorly built ones often run warmer... but heat is not generally considered an issue. Constant output is.

Wattage is not as important as amperage. But what really counts is the amps available on the rails, and how constant the power availability is... Some power supplies drop and rise dramatically under load and the various demands of the computer.

There is an excellent review on power supplies on this forum, and a great deal of stuff available with a Gurgle search that migh be of interest to you.

i bought a ... SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT ATX12V / EPS12V 550W Power Supply
details>>>

Model
Brand SeaSonic
Model SS-550HT
Series S12 Energy Plus
Spec
Type ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91
Maximum Power 550W
Fans 1 x 12cm Double Ball Bearing Cooling Fan
PFC Active
Main Connector 20+4Pin
+12V Rails 4
PCI-E Connectors 2 x 6Pin
ATI CrossFire Support Yes
NVIDIA SLI Support NVIDIA SLI Certified
Modular Cabling Support No
Efficiency up to 88%
Energy-Efficient 80 PLUS Certified
Input Voltage 100 - 240 V
Input Frequency Range 50/60 Hz
Output +3.3V@24A, +5V@30A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@18A, +12V4@18A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@3.0A
MTBF 100,000 hours at 25°C under full load
Approvals UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC
Features

Connectors

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(P4)
1 x 12V(8Pin)
9 x peripheral
6 x SATA
2 x Floppy
2 x PCI-E
Features Dual Magnetic Amplifiers [MagAmp]