PSU requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to make an old HP Pavillion work. It came supplied with a 100w PSU, which I suspect has blown out. I will be running a Celeron processor, one HD, a 56k modem card, and one CD-RW. I see a lot of 200w PSU's on Ebay. Do I have to match wattage with the old one, or can I go higher?
Before you say that I should junk it all, I have to tell you that I'd LOVE to, except that I promised this box to someone who has no computer.

Any

As the previous post said, you can use as high a wattage as you want it dont matter. Your system will only use what it needs to.

But to answer your question yes, a 200 watt PSU will do just fine.

But I do know that some older HP's used micro ATX PSU's and some where even propriotary size wise. So be cautious. Pull the old unit and compair it as much as possible to the ones on e-bay.

Good news is that it shouldnt cost you no more than $20 for a good used replacment.

Thanks, I did just that, got one on ebay for $14.
I think it was the PSU that went when I tried to power up, because EVERYTHING was dead. If I'd ruined the MOBO, would't the green light still come on, and the cooling fans?

A pavilion just isnt worth a good quality psu, he would end up with a psu that was worth more than the pc!!!!!!!

rik said:
A pavilion just isnt worth a good quality psu, he would end up with a psu that was worth more than the pc!!!!!!!
I doubt that. FSP Fortron sells high-quality mATX PSUs for real cheap. Try this PSU. It's dirt cheap and will do the job nicely.

you can get a used 350W PSU from a salvage store for next to nothing. In many cases - free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back