PSU running a bit warm...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agi_shi

Ok, so I have 2 PSUs in my house:

480W TruePowerII Antec - main rig: 1gig of ram, x2 3800+, x850xt, 1 HD

400W Fortron (FSP Group) - emachines rig: 512megs of ram, 6100 IGP, 1 HD, 3000+ sempron

When I feel the air coming out of the fortron, it's cool. Literally. When I feel the air coming out of my antec, it's warm. Not "hot", but warm. Now that I feel it again, it's not "hot" at all, but it IS indeed warm.

Am I to be worried? Or is this normal? I'm just worried because my fortron is all nice and cool, and this baby that's powering my rig is warm...

Also: do you think it's safe to keep running with this one if I were to get a 8800GTS (320MB)? It says it needs a minimum of 400W, which my unit has, and 26A on the +12V rail, which I have as well... my systems isn't really all that loaded:
AMD A64 X2 3800+
1GB Corsair DDR2
1 HD
2 DVD-RW
4 case fans and 2 LEDs
... pretty much it.

Thoughts?

you shouldnt be worried about the warm air coming out of your psu, it has to go somewhere right? Dont worry. Oh and with those rails you should be able to run the gts card fine.

supersmashbrada said:
you shouldnt be worried about the warm air coming out of your psu, it has to go somewhere right? Dont worry. Oh and with those rails you should be able to run the gts card fine.
Thanks!

I thought it was probably nothing to worry about, it's just that the other one was blowing out cool air so I got a bit worried :D :blush: .

Peace!

MetalX said:
Yup. The air coming out is supposed to be warm. That's why there's a fan there :)
Then is it possible my Fortron has gone bonkers?! It only blows out cool air (yet the system is as stable as a rock).

:confused: :eek: :suspiciou :knock:

Infact, if you have an nForce4 motherboard, one of the more helpful utilities I've seen is the nTune module. It's official and legit. Gives a handy, easy temp monitor, and if you get concerned, you can use the autotune function to tone everything down a bit.

Oh, don't worry - I know how to handle my temps ;) (I OCed my X2 3800+ to a 5400+ basically and stayed within reasonable temps). And I have a NF590SLI mobo, and I must say, the nVidia nMonitor app comes in very useful to temperature monitoring.

I was just asking why one PSU would blow out cool air when another would blow out warm air :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back