PSU seems to be faulty as pc restarts, need some clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helixeagle

Hey,

I was wondering if any one could help me with an Issue I’m currently experiencing on my system, I believe it is my PSU but I’m unsure.

My Specs are as follows:

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.66GHz (1333FSB)

Gigabyte GA_P35_DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

OCZ StealthXStream 600w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 2900 Pro SILENT Heatpipe 512MB (PCI-E) (Over clocked to an XT)

Now the problem is a simple one, my computer restarts. But only (so far) in 3d mark 2006, I have played call of duty 4 demo and unreal III maxed out just to grind it and see if my pc cuts out,... it doesn’t, now in 3d mark 2006 it gets about half way through and then cuts out (the computer restarts) the first thing I check is the event viewer and check the logs.

There is nothing in there on an error, I have unchecked the restart pc at blue screen so it is not a blue screen issue. the temperature of my processor runs at 40 - 50C under pressure and the GPU runs at about 60 - 70 under pressure, my first thought was that over clocking the GPU to an XT is the issue,

However now I am unsure and need some clarification, because it’s just cutting out and restarting it indication a PSU issue, and when I go into PC wizard (free program to check many things) my PSU shows the following:

12V Voltage = 13.77V

3.3V Voltage = 1.90V

Obviously this is not right and I understand these fluxuate but this is a big difference which makes me think the reason is the PSU; I have got in contact with the people I purchased the PSU from and am waiting for a response; however I would like a second opinion, any ideas?

Thanks people,

Well if your 3.3V Voltage = 1.90V then you have a critical problem with the power supply (assuming reading is correct) The 12V also looks a little high to me. I would suggest obtaining a power supply tester ASAP and confirming the readings. In the mean time I would try to refrain from using the computer as you may do a lot more damage.

I will test the readings properly tonight and try another PSU in the meantime, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Google and get everest home edition and see if that comes up with different readings.

I have Everest already however i did not think to look there, since it was a long shot trusting the voltages in PC wizard I also checked in the BIOS for a different reading but i couldn't find any, thanks for the advice I'll look in Everest tonight to get another opinion on this tonight.

Just a quick update,

The issue is indeed because of the PSU clarified this and is getting replaced, hopefully this will solve the issue here, thanks for the help guys.

Well I suppose that the problem has been solved, so one last off topic will be ok, but Im seeing them live in AUS Feb 08' which should be sweet. You going to see them in the world tour?

May do, not sure as yet. Bruce is a nice guy, iv'e met him several times as he flies from Whitewaltham airfield which is just up the road from me. I havent been a maiden fan for ages as im mostly into heavier stuff. The first time i met Bruce was just after he had all his hair cut off and i didnt recognise him at first.

The gig will be awesome, they are always fantastic live.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back