Psy's "Gangnam Style" video broke YouTube's hit counter

By Shawn Knight
Dec 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. It's been nearly two and a half years since Psy's Gangnam Style music video went viral, setting a number of YouTube records in the process. As with most one-hit wonders, they often fade away just as quickly as they emerged...

Read more
  2. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Booster Posts: 131   +65

YAY! I can go down in history as being the only person on the entire planet who has never seen that Video. And I never will.
    Jad Chaar and cmbjive like this.
  3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +463

You are so cool! OMG I want to be like you!!!

It's awesome though, that someone actually broke the counter I bet youtube never saw it comming.
    Jad Chaar and learninmypc like this.
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

You can thank all of the 9-15 year olds who watched that 200 times each for breaking the counter. I got about halfway through and decided that was enough. ;)
  5. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

You're not the only one. ;)
  6. N0F8M8

N0F8M8 TS Rookie

I have to admit... This was my first time watching it after reading this article and I must say...It's pretty freakin hilarious. Good for him!
  7. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

I thought it was funny.
  8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

You have something in common with my 6 year old. She didn't try chocolate for like a year because we told her it was delicious, and she sure wasn't going to try something that her parents said tasted good.

You don't have to tell anyone you've seen it. Go watch it in secret, wear some headphones, use Incognito mode, and I dare you not to at least crack a smile when you see the guy dancing in the elevator.

If you're brave enough to enter the gutter of viral videos.. next you can answer the age old question... what DOES the fox say? (don't worry, it's totally safe for work/kids/grandma etc. although grandma would shake her head and look at you funny.)
  9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I had seen it and forgot about it, until I watched it again today. I think the reason I had forgotten, is because I never understood the video to begin with and still don't.
  10. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,497   +670

Never heard of him ....... lol
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

I never had a clue who they were talking about so I started checking out the video then I recalled hearing that tune on radio a couple of years back but I had no idea what it was called and I wasn't interested either. It's not exactly my listening pleasure.
  12. SeiveD

SeiveD TS Enthusiast Posts: 37

Am I the only one wondering why they used a SIGNED 32-bit integer versus an unsigned 32-bit integer? Does a negative view count make any sense? Also, amusing that the article makes no distinction between the two. Maybe they wrote it in Java, where they simply forgot to implement unsigned integers.... Naaah.
  13. cliffordcooley

Until now the possibility of surpassing the signed 32-bit value was not achievable. Don't you just love hindsight?
  14. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,370   +2,162

I watch the video some time ago. The dancing was amusing, but I would never have expected 2+ billion views. The ad revenue from that video must be insane.

The DJ at the gym blasted that song over the PA a few weeks ago. I could only shake my head.
  15. dms96960

dms96960 TS Addict Posts: 253   +28

Funny and entertaining video. The guy seems pretty stocky, but very graceful.
  16. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,267   +101

Why not? Seriously, it's entertaining, if not just to laugh at and wonder why people make such a big deal about it.
  17. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Because a lot of people think it's in to hate on the thing that's in. It's trendy to hate trends.
  18. cliffordcooley

OMG, I hope that video is not trendy!
  19. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,551   +332

Ok, what does the fox say ? :)
  20. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +463

Exactly, they are "cool" by not being "cool". Chill.
  21. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,551   +332

I never liked it when I saw it first on this program & still don't care for it but will listen to it & watch because of the ladies :)
  22. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD TS Enthusiast Posts: 36   +15

Looks like this article is on its way to breaking Techspot's comment counter.
    VitalyT, TomSEA and cliffordcooley like this.
  23. DanUK

DanUK TS Booster Posts: 211   +9

Not my kinda music but it's funny and entertaining.. and my word.. those korean ladies :eek:
  24. SeiveD

SeiveD TS Enthusiast Posts: 37

Indeed. But there are 7 billion people in the world.
  25. Why on earth would they use a SIGNED 32-bit integer when a video cannot ever have less than zero views?