Purchased new computer for gaming! Nice!

By lostfuze
Mar 22, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So back in February I made a thread about a PCI card to go into my Emachines computer. So I bought the 5700LE, and it ended up being crap. Most of it was my computers fault, not the actual card. So anyways... I broke down and bought a whole new computer system for $1,000.

Here is what I got:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ S939
    nVidia GeForce 6600GT PCI-E
    Soltek K890PRO motherboard
    Samsung 17" LCD
    PQI 512MB PC3200 RAM
    Hitachi 160GB SATA HDD
    BenQ DVD Burner
    Samsung floppy drive
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Aspire X-Navigator Case w/ 450W PSU

The computer is not built yet because im awaiting my Windows XP copy to arrive from Amazon.com, but im so damn excited to get this going. Everything is sitting nicely in my dining room now, as I type on this crap eMachines.

The new computer is going to be used mostly for gaming, and the things I plan on purchasing in the immediate future for upgrades:

512MB stick of PC3200 RAM
    CD-RW Drive (So i dont have to use my DVD burner as a main drive)

After that, the only thing i'll be needing to upgrade is my video card in like 6-12 months when I get money.

Cant wait!
  2. lostfuze

lostfuze Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 35

Oh yea, I already have Far Cry, Half Life 2, and UT2K4 sitting here begging to be played. It's killing me! lol
  3. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,760

Get a good power supply.Most of the ones that come with cases are crap and can ruin your motherboard and processor when they fail. Enermax and Antec are very good.
  4. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

Hiatchi...ouch. Sell that hard drive and replace it, or back up regularly.
  5. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,760

I just noticed that. If you can return that hard drive do it. They seem to be having the same failure problems as the IBM Deskstars, or Deathstars as they are becomming known. Ive only bought Western Digitals for the past 5 years after having several Maxtor failures.
  6. lostfuze

lostfuze Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 35

Well im definitely not returning the harddrive. I had to return the original HDD that I ordered because it was the wrong one.(What a pain)

If this Hitachi one goes bad, ill just have to get a different brand. No big deal.

And about the power supply: I'll be getting a new one when I upgrade my video card. This Aspire one will be fine until then. The 6600GT doesnt suck up power like other high end cards.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.