Purple line on my laptop screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

|-|ybrid

Okay so I just got my chinese-made laptop back from being fixed for the fourth time in a row (i live in north america...they are in australia... damn long time) and now i discover there is a 1-pixel wide vertical purple line on my 15.4" TFT Widescreen monitor. is this a stuck pixel? a dead pixel? or another problem completely?

another thing is that the line doesnt stay purple. on black screens and desktop it is purple, but on IE it is yellow, along with many other programs for some reason

i really need help on this guys... ive tried the method on wikihow and ive been trying the JScreenCleaner (stuck pixel sweeping program) but no luck so far...

thanks

edit: forgot to say that i know that this isnt a video card issue cuz i plugged it in another monitor and it didnt have that problem. i just really need to know if this isnt something that needs factory repairs cuz my warranty is worn out

Attach an external monitor to your PC. If the problem continues there, it's your graphics card.
If the problem disappears, you have stuck/dead pixels.
You could try a very gentle rubbing of the pixel(s) concerned, but it looks like you might need a new LCD-panel.

My laptops are made in China as well, but they are extremely sturdy (IBM, now Lenovo).

i did plug it in to another monitor, and the problem wasnt there

rubbing it doesnt work either

but i dont wanna send it back cuz its 12000 miles away and my warranty is void so no go...

Check the exact type of LCD-screen that you have, then look on eBay if they have one. Or look for a defective laptop of the same brand/model, that has e.g. a faulty motherboard, but the screen is still OK.

Mine too! After months of overclocking and so, one-pixel vertical inch coming to my notebook. (1x1024 pixels) Till today I don't know how to solve, but one thing that I know its that most probably for me it's the graphics card error, because :

`The line is coming after installing ATI CATALYST
`The line is just a extremely high gamma & brightness as the line just follow the colour it suppose to be (example: should be blue / green, it become light blue / green)
`The line start to fade and disappear when I play hard 3D Games or Watching DVDs
`Sometimes, there's no line at all when I boot the computer.
`I have other 3 dead-pixels but it's different from this line.

Well, though this appear abit funny, but I think we have some similarity in this case (my acer was made in china).

Attachments

• Screen Gamma error.jpg
    Screen Gamma error.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 17
weird, from the pic it looks exactly like mine. are you sure its a gfx error? plug it in another monitor to see...

if it is, theres a lot of stuff you can try, like undoing the overclocking, removing catalyst or even updating your bios was suggested to me.

anyways its nice to see im not alone in this problem, so thanks

lol, yeah, i have not trying attaching to another monitor, but i do try to TV-OUT and it works perfect. I have even underclock (sometimes line disappear after this). Removing catalyst, reinstall all the ATI drivers. Cleaning the screen, the CPU fan heatsink (avoid overheating).

I'm not sure whether it's GFX or LCD, as i also have 3 dead pixels. (maybe my laptop lcd screen is low quality). Now even i want to try removing the ATI chip (im sure i have integrated gfx) but i have no time doing that.

But i need to tell you one thing : My fren bought a Toshiba laptop, one fine day just after installing vista rc 1, his LCD screen could not on. In random, sometime it turns on for 1 sec then off. It was then because of a mobo fried (too much overheating, i've told him so)

Hence i feel quite fortunate not to have that problem. :)

Btw, i've seen your computer specs in previous thread.
It seems that you're using ATI MR 9600? wow, similar to me, no wonder problems arise....
Mine is MR9700 64 MB, see my profile it's the #2 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back