TechSpot

Purple squares when I play a game

By XxSkateguyxX
Mar 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Guys when I play ARMA II or any game.. there are purple squares on my screen. At first, it was manageable. It didn't affect how I played the game. But later on, it got worse and worse!:( To the point that my game crashes. But when I play Assassins Creed, if I alt+tab out the purple spots are gone but later on it crashes. Can anyone help me with my problem? By the way, I'm using an HP Pavilion dv5

2. existnz

existnz TS Rookie

^^

in my opinion ur video card its about to blow up :)but u still can try update ur driver...
    if not .. lower graphic on ur game

But listen other ppl opinions :)

3. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Colored squares usually means the card is broken. Do you get the odd colors during the boot sequence?

4. XxSkateguyxX

XxSkateguyxX TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've tried that MULTIPLE TIMES and it still doesnt work :'(

5. XxSkateguyxX

No problems with that only during gaming and very rarely on youtube like 1/10 chance

6. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

GPU's don't tend to blow up, they either stop working, or start to display odd colours or artifacts, then eventually stop working completely.

As much as it pains me to say it, its not going to cause the computer to instantly combust, or blow up like a balloon or anything.

It could be that the GPU is overheating, and needs to be stripped and cleaned, then have new thermal paste added before being fitted back together. Its a long shot though, but might be worth your time.

EDIT: Its a laptop, so I'd say it's likely a bad integrated GPU, and terminal.

7. XxSkateguyxX

I should send it to someone who can do it for me because I might break it
    I'll get back to you if it works.

8. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,168   +176

Easy trick is to just try underclocking it and seeing if the artifacts go away...

9. SunEzer

SunEzer TS Rookie

I know this is a very old post but I have the exact same thing,did somebody find a fix?

10. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,273   +151

Try the advice given in the previous posts.

If you are still seeing coloured squares or artifacts in all games its 99% certain your graphics card is toast sorry :(

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  11. SunEzer

SunEzer TS Rookie

It's not in all games,for example: CS:GO,COD and Red orchestrea 2 are few of the games that doesn't work,but LoL,Gmod and Spore do work.
    Most of the games doesn't work though.

12. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,273   +151

Remove and reinstall the latest GPU drivers, Ensure your directx and any other required software is installed and up to date.

13. SunEzer

SunEzer TS Rookie

I formatted my PC last week so everything is updated.
    I formatted it because I thought it would fix the problem but it didn't :(
    I will try to use my warranty and replace my Graphics Card,I hope it will work.
    (BTW sorry for my bad english)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.