Put 2 'used' hard drives in old computer - problems using programs on slave

Status
Not open for further replies.

jledoux

I have an old computer (AMD Duron 800 MHz) that my kids use for their computer games. ME is installed on it, and it has a 30 GB hard drive. I had an even older computer that I no longer needed that had a 10 GB hard drive on it with stuff we didn't want to lose, including more games that my kids like to play! Anyway, I installed the 10 GB hard drive in the AMD computer as a slave. Now, not surprisingly in retrospect I guess (but I'm new to these things), the programs on the slave do not appear to work. What do I need to do to make it possible to use the programs installed on the slave hard drive?

I don't know if this is at all related, but the HDs are installed as primary master and primary slave. I had tried to install the 10 GB as a secondary slave (with the CD drive as the secondary master), but when I did that the computer would not boot.

Thanks for your help!

Well those programs probably require registry keys. And they were installed on your old computer. The only way you will be able to get those to work is to reinstsall them on the new computer.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

you may be able to use an IDE to USB adaptor to port the software over. It will convert an internal IDE hard drive to an external USB drive.
They cost about $20

No drive enclosure will be able to "convert" a plain program folder into a program that is installed properly with all its registry keys and auxiliary files..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back