Putting everything from one HDD to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blekk

Hi,

I have a very slow Maxtor 40Gb 5400rpm IDE Hard Drive and am about to buy a Seagate Sata2 250Gb 16Mb Cache Hard Drive.

When my dad bought a new 80Gb IDE hard drive many years ago to replace the 10Gb IDE drive, Seagate had a tool to just copy across all the data from the original drive to the new drive.

Is this tool available for copying my stuff from my IDE drive to the new SATA2 drive? Or should I reformat and re-install windows?

Thanks for your time.

Hi

As you are changing from an IDE to a SATA drive you will need to reinstall Windows or else you will get the dreaded Blue Screen of Death.

Regards

Check out Acronis utilities at http://www.acronis.com . They have some neat tools that may help your situation. First, there is their flagship product, Acronis True Image which can take the exact contents across to your new drive. If there are boot record issues, their Disk Director product might also help.

Best of luck!

Thanks all,.

Almcneil, would this get around the IDE to SATA problem or is what Ididmyc600 true for everything?

Sorry to ask again but it didn't seem you saw I was changing from IDE to SATA.

Thanks.

Blekk said:
Thanks all,.

Almcneil, would this get around the IDE to SATA problem or is what Ididmyc600 true for everything?

Sorry to ask again but it didn't seem you saw I was changing from IDE to SATA.

Thanks.

No, I did see what you wrote about changing the drive types and Ididmyc600's warning. That's why I also suggested the Acronis Disk Director as possibly necessary because it will take care of any drive type changes.

Note that Acronis gives you a 15 day free trial of their products so you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Post back if it worked!

From this site here....

IDE to SATA

Cloning an IDE drive to an SATA drive, or vice versa, is almost as straightforward as IDE-to-IDE cloning. There's just one key difference: Currently, only a handful of SATA controllers are available, the majority of which are made by Silicon Image, VIA, and Promise. The Promise controller is, strictly speaking, a RAID controller; as such, it will not be detected automatically by the True Image software. However, when I've tested the VIA and Silicon Image SATA controllers, both were automatically detected by the True Image software.

Because Windows XP does not natively include SATA drivers, when you attempt to boot from the new, cloned SATA hard drive, you'll discover that Windows XP will not load. To prevent this, be sure to enable the SATA controller in the BIOS and load the drivers into Windows before cloning..... Cont.....

Worth a read before you do anything...

Regards

That sounds like the problem that I am having.. How do I enable the SATA controller in the bios?? I have a Asus N2m-SLI Deluxe motherboard..

Thanks Ididmyc600,

I'll see who makes my SATA contoller, it is an Asus Via board so I am guessing it is a VIA controller.

I'll have a read and hopefully it will all become straightfoward, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back