TechSpot

Putting in a second 7950

By Hamfish
Jul 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys I have decided that I'm going to buy a second 7950 and I am wondering what I have to do to install it correctly when I already have one installed

2. Spykezxp

Spykezxp TS Addict Posts: 280   +70

Check your power supply to make sure it can handle the additional 7950. For a system using two Radeon HD 7950 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode, AMD specifies a minimum of an 700 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +965

What are you system specs? You need a PSU that can handle xfire like Spykexp said. Also, you need a motherboard that can run 2x 7950s @ x8 + x8.

4. Hamfish

Hamfish TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have a thermaltake 750w bronze certified power supply ( can't remember the exact model, I'll check it when I get home) and a asus sabertooth 990fx r.2 motherboard

I'm pretty sure I my computer can handle it it's just my worry is what I have to do to get the card running properly in crossfire with the other

Ok my psu is Thermaltake smart series Sp 750m

5. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Evangelist Posts: 842   +199

That MOBO is fine. It allows for Dual x16 links for SLI/CFX. As for the PSU, it should also be fine. It's not most reputable brand when it comes to PSU's but it should get the job done.

hellokitty[hk] likes this.
  6. Jad Chaar

Yeah, you can easily xfire.

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

...Make sure you use the crossfire bridge.

Jad Chaar likes this.
  8. Jad Chaar

Sometimes you screw up the simplest things xD.

St1ckM4n likes this.