Q6600 Corespeed and Multiplier change depending on system load

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeps1987

hey all
i have a Intel Quad Core Q6600 G0 Stepping,
stock its 2.4Ghz @ 266 FSB and a multiplier of 9,
i overclocked it to 3.96Ghz @ 440 FSB and a multiplier of 9

when windows is idle it turns the multiplier down to 6, which i assume is as low as it goes, to bring it back as close as possible to its stock speed, with the 440 FSB,under load, it goes to 9 Mulitplier, which is what is set in the BIOS, why does it do this, and how can i keep it at 3.96Ghz all the time?
NoLoad.jpg

Load.jpg

and why does it show my memory is running at 2T, when iv set it manually in the BIOS to run at 1T?
RAM.jpg

My system specs,
Intel Quad Core Q6600 G0 Stepping @ 3.96Ghz (when it feels like it lol) (watercooled)
ASUS Blitz Formular
OCZ Reaper 8500 1066Mhz 2GB kit, dual Channel
OCZ GameStream 1010Watt PSU
ATI Radeon Connect 3D X1900 XTX (Danger Den Tyee Block)
Thermaltake Kandolf LCS Case

Thanks

Command Rate is only used for AMD based systems, it has no use/relevance on an Intel system.

Didou said:
Command Rate is only used for AMD based systems, it has no use/relevance on an Intel system.

thanks for that :) i didnt know that, as all my previous 3 systems were AMD based, so i can set command rate to AUTO in my BIOS?

deeps1987 said:
when windows is idle it turns the multiplier down to 6, which i assume is as low as it goes, to bring it back as close as possible to its stock speed, with the 440 FSB,under load, it goes to 9 Mulitplier, which is what is set in the BIOS, why does it do this, and how can i keep it at 3.96Ghz all the time?
What do you have against power saving? If the system is idle, why would you still want to keep the computer running on full power?

To do that, just select "Always on" scheme from power management settings in XP's control panel.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
What do you have against power saving? If the system is idle, why would you still want to keep the computer running on full power?

To do that, just select "Always on" scheme from power management settings in XP's control panel.

lol i have nothing against power saving, i just wanted to know why it did that.
My power options were set to Always on, first thing i did.

What is speedstep? and CT1?

Leave speedstep on, it saves power and increases the life of your processor by lowering its speed when you don't need it. As soon as the speed is needed the multiplier will go back up. Your not really at any loss of speed.

Didou said:

command rate=ct1?

When i put together my old amd system didnt mess with that, but if you dont disable ct1 speedstep will stay enabled.

supersmashbrada said:
command rate=ct1?

When i put together my old amd system didnt mess with that, but if you dont disable ct1 speedstep will stay enabled.

surely Command Rate would be CR1/CR2, as it says in CPU-Z?

Command Rate is shown in the memory tab & as such only affects memory performance (furthermore on AMD based systems only) so it will not change SpeedStep settings.

okay i know this is a bit of topic but im considering buying the case u have is the water cooling system good what are ur temps?

Computer~freak~ said:
okay i know this is a bit of topic but im considering buying the case u have is the water cooling system good what are ur temps?

hey,
firstly, the case is HUGE lol just be aware of that
on my Q6600 with the stock heatsink i was getting temps of around 37*C idle, and 55*C load,
With the case watercooling, im getting temps of around 26*C Idle, and 35*C load, so a massive improvement.

check out My Forum post, while i was building my pc it includes pictures and the results

overall, its a great case, and id definatly buy it again, hope that helps

thx for the info man hopefully ill get the case before newyear's and i am also plannin on buyin the same cpu as u what mobo are u using

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back