TechSpot

Quad core Extreme stock fan

By CJ-real
Aug 31, 2007
  1. Hi,

My MOBO is ASUS P5N-E SLI

I installed a new processor: Intel Quad core Extreme processor @ 2.66GHz, 8MB L2 cache

and the stock fan is really loud! Running at 4000rpm.

I flashed my BIOS, its version 7030 and the noise is still there. I upgraded from Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (E6600), that worked perfectly.

anything else I can do?

Regards,
    Cj

2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

you could get a cable with a resistor built in (zalman do one) which will reduce the fan speed, otherwise you could buy a new heatsink, i personally recommend zalman, my old cpu fan used to go at 5000rpm and was the loudest thing on the street, now i have a zalman one that does around 2000rpm and it's almost silent :) plus it got the temperature down about 10C lower

3. CJ-real

CJ-real TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 103

Yes, I was looking at a new fan, just checking if it was any problem.

I am getting Zalman CNPS9700-LED Super Aero Flower Cooler any comments appriciated :)

Thanks daveskater

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

The Zalman is a very fine fan.
    There have always been troubles with those stock fans... they sell for about $2.25 in volume, and are machine built devices that are common failures... about 15 percent go bad or arrive bad.

5. NFSFAN

NFSFAN TS Rookie Posts: 340

Raybay is right, stock fans are not very good, but an aftermarket Zalman cooler will suit your needs just fine. I have trusted Zalman with all of my computer builds, and have only used cooling components from them, as they have an amazing reputation for coolers. The only exception would be the Fa1ality series labeled by zalman, because those are just relabled, and repainted coolers sold for a much higher price, other than that they are sell great products. Good luck with your choice.

6. CJ-real

CJ-real TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 103

Thanks, I've chosen above:
    Zalman CNPS9700-LED Super Aero Flower Cooler

:)

7. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

I expect you will like it as much as I like mine. Please let this forum know if it ever gives you trouble.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.