p05ta1

Amd 3000 64bit 939
gigabyte Ga-k8ns ultra
2 gigs of ddr400 running at ddr335
300gig maxtor diamond 10 sata
geforce 6800gt OC
Audigy2 zs
420watt theraltake purepower

To start I would get a game lock up with a sound loop, only way to get out is rest Pc.

I did a clean install of windowsxp Pro sp2 , LATEST nforce3 , Nvidia, Audigy, Bios driver/updates. Ran Diskeeper 10 boot defrag. Air cleaned out my entire case. The game still crashes!

The latest Patch for quake4 and the new OpenAL drivers didn't help either.

I get this same problem with Call of duty 2 as well.

Anyone have and solutions?

Q4 lock-up

Go to tweakguides.com they have a Q4 guide as well as an Nvidia tweak page. You should get more than enough advice there.

Thanks I will check it out.. and I wonder if anyone has the same problem with this game.
I am thinking it is almost a Beta.

hahha I checked out the site.. 1.0.5 Beta patch out!
now I need to run over to Activision and see what it is for.

the beta patch did nothing for my quake4 game. IT still locks up my system with the sound going on in background.

I am about ready to take this thing back to the store.
IdSoftware has been great in the past. I think they drop the ball on this game.

my onboard sound is turned off. I have a audigy2 zs running all my sound.
I installed the open AL drivers and still the same results.

Reply to Quake4 issue

I have had this problem with other games while running them on my AMD 4000. At this point, I would try to bring down any overclocking you may have in your system. Run the system at normal speed. Then, try installing an earlier version of the video driver for your card. Sometimes, some games do not like certain drivers combined with any OC and they will stop on their tracks. Not every game that one buys will play with the latest video drivers that one has installed. There are exceptions.

Good luck.

Is this a new build? Ive had alot of problems getting 6800 series cards to work right in nForce 3 boards. I had to switch to VIA K8T800 boards for my new builds that use that card.

not a new build . I have played GUN no crashes. Seems only the new games from activision are the problem.

Try upping the AGP aperture size,I couldn't play the Quake 4 demo at 1280x1024 at high quality without it freezing with the sound still going.256mb was the only setting that made it through the whole demo.

same here

I have the same problem - the game plays fine for a few minutes then locks up. Occaisonally it dumps out, but I usually have to hard reset. It lasts longer in multiplayer, perhaps half an hour, but only about 5 minutes in single player or intro.
The problem seems the same as in Doom3 - I'm guessing they have the same or similar code base and hence the same bug. I tried to get doom3 to work for ages, and gave up. This time it's straight for a refund under s13, s14 of the Sale of Goods Act!!!
My machine is a Sony Vaio VGN-A117S, 512k ram, 1.7G Pentium-M with ATI9800 graphics chip. Doom3 and Quake4 are the only games that did this, but I don't play all that many different ones. UT2004 is as smooth and quick as you like, as is WoW - both at 1920-1600.
ID are still resting on their laurels in terms of coding, Wolf3d was good, but Doom was a masterpiece, these days, though.... oh well.
Happy New Year!

Quake 4 has given me nothing but problems. It is the only game that locked up my system as well. I unstalled it the first day because of these issues. I reformatted so I will try installing it again. Hopefull the new patches will help.

I gave up on quake4 all together. I installed King Kong and Stubbs the zombie and played Kong to finish in 4 days not one crash.
Stubbs plays fine two. Been 3 days not a crash. I have decided Id no longer makes games worth my money.

Wow! You guys must have subpar systems. I think the game runs great, and I was hesitant to buy it after Doom 3 (that gave me fits) I am impressed at how fast and smooth it is on my system. You should try one of the many tweak guides for Quake 4. Your missing out.....

p05ta1: Try turning off your Audigy2 zs sound card and turning on your mobo sound. I read on this site that Audigy2 drivers can cause conflicts with some games. Check IRQ ( at the very least), make sure the Audigy and your 6800 are not using the same IRQ address.

I have Doom3 and COD2 running absolutely fine on my AMD 3500 and Nvidia4 with a 6600GT and only 1G DDR 3200 (OCZ), but I only have on board sound.
Will get Q4 soon enough.

Good luck.

Well I have a P4 3.2 on a gig of ram and I have the 9800XT 256 Asus Radeon Card. I haven't reinstalled it since I reformatted, and I am sure it will run fine now.

Quake4 and COD2 can play stable for hours and hours without any problems on a properly configured system with properly functioning hardware.

If the system is locking up, especially if a reset is the only way out, this is absolutely a hardware or hardware configuration issue. This would also encompass temperature or power issues.

The best first steps are:
1) Update to the latest BIOS for your mainboard.
2) Update to the latest chipset drivers. I know it says in the original post LATEST Nforce drivers, but the ones on NVidia's website are old, crusty and do have some issues. I'd hit www.guru3d.com and get some of the newer ones there if you haven't already.
3) Update to newer and beta Forceware drivers if NVidia. Get the 5.11 Catalyst drivers if ATI.
4) Relax timings in the BIOS- for memory, cpu and other hardware. Set AGP to 4x, then 2x for a test. Disable Fast Writes.
5) Download (google) memtest86, make a boot floppy and run this overnight for any possible errors.
6) Google/install hardware monitors to monitor cpu/system temp and all voltage rails during gameplay. One that logs is critical as we'll need to inspect this during a lockup.

Any foreign software, tweakers, systray tools or drivers should also be uninstalled. Things such as internet security, systray toys, color/desktop items (like Windowblinds or whatnot), 3rd party tweakers, DVD/virtual emulators, memory managers, color correction translators, video refresh tools, etc.etc. Many of these actually need to be UNINSTALLED rather than disabled in order to properly isolate if they are the culprit. I'd lean more towards temp, BIOS/hardware config, drivers and/or power for a lockup that requires a reset though.

Good luck!

have u tried using Kx audio drivers and disabling the eax in the games configuration ? i had problems consisting of that repeating sound and i later to have found out its the drivers poor support for newer games , i now use Kx audio driver for my sound card which is a audigy 1 and my problems seem to have disappeared but if you use them drivers u cannot use the eax in the game as it will cause the same sympoms , and also using them drivers ( Kx ) i found out i am able to support more sounds then from the actual driver themselves . now a lil sample test to do , remove the sound card use the on board audio and then run the game and see if any difference taken place .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back