TechSpot

Qualcomm's announces 24-core socketed CPU for server market

By Scorpus
Oct 13, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. It looks like Qualcomm, known for its popular SoCs used in a wide variety of smartphones and tablets, is entering the server business. The company has announced a socketed processor destined for enterprise applications at an event in San Francisco, bringing their expertise in SoC design to new markets.

At the event, Qualcomm showed off a prototype chip featuring 24 ARM cores, all of which are 64-bit capable, in a socketed package that looks remarkably similar to Intel's CPUs. The processor from Qualcomm also packs PCIe connectivity, storage, and other features, while the final design will include more than 24 cores, according to senior vice president Anand Chandrasekher.

Qualcomm's server chip has reportedly been in the works for at least two years, and naturally it supports Linux environments that make up the vast majority of server solutions on the market. The chip isn't quite ready for a final release, so Qualcomm will provide further updates on the chip next year.

The majority of servers currently deployed worldwide use x86 chips, many of which come from Intel, but ARM designs are seen as competitors in this space due to their energy efficient construction. It's also possible to create large, multi-core ARM SoCs without using a ton of die space, which is ideal for parallel server workloads.

Whether Qualcomm can gain any serious footing in the server market remains to be seen, but come next year, we might see the company as more than just a smartphone chipmaker.

Image courtesy of PC World

Permalink to story.

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,051

That's one pretty big CPU.

3. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 481   +159

That looks more like a Xeon, I highly doubt that's a representation of the CPU mentioned here. If it is, then they're doing something wrong.

4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

These days, what is a server? I use my mobile to host a website, running a few server-side apps.

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,698   +1,885

It would have been nice to see that monster right side up as well, so we could get a fix on what the heat spreader & heat sink fan assembly might look like.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  6. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Most of the new breed of ARM server chips are. Cavium's ThunderX, which can be up to 48 cores is around 600mm² in die size. The cores themselves are small (maybe 15% of an x86 core) , but substantial area is still required for cache, I/O, PCI-E 3.0, USB, SATA, 40GbE /100GbE ethernet, the ethernet fabric, quad DDR4 channels, and in Cavium's case, CCPI ( CPU interconnect).
    [​IMG]

Broadcom's Vulcan and Applied Micro's X-Gene3 (both 64 core) would both be in the same ballpark

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,698   +1,885

@dividebyzero I see a square pattern of four copper holes around each CPU. Would those be the attach points for the heat sink fan?

8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

They certainly are, although the dual socket boards in the 1U form factor are generally passive heatsink with through-and-through fan cooling, such as this Gigabyte
    [​IMG]