Quality of news stories!

Relevance of news stories!

Creating a competition is a good idea to get more people posting about news stories, but I think the primary problem is that the news stories are generally not interesting! For example, Telewest tops UK broadband providers.... ok, that is interesting if I have shares in the company or I live in a region where Telewest provides an ISP service, but so what? The site is supposed to be for PC enthusiast information. Primarily I would imagine that is games, hardware, and new technologies on the horizon. maybe it's just me, but I just feel that many of the stories that get posted are generally not exciting enough to discuss. Also, the competition will probably not increase activity on the site after it ends because the fundamental problems will remain.

Well, this is likely a sure way to get myself disqualified from the contest, but I agree with the post above.

Well, I don't agree that the quality of the material is lacking, as it may be very good quality....

I just have a hard time finding any topics in the news that are actually relevant to my interests. There are a few here and there, but for the most part I find myself unable to find a topic that I care about enough to comment.

We'll see how the next few weeks go.

Personally, I'd have to disagree. Techspot encompasses every area of IT, and so it's only right that every area of IT should get reported.

If I were looking to change ISP, I might be interested to know about telewest, or if I were interested in coding php, I might be interested to know that a security flaw has been found in the latest version or a new version has been released.

Personally, what I'm not interested in is how the latest top of the range graphics card has arrived, which does exactly the same as it's predecessor but 15% faster - I don't have that kind of money, and I feel buying "bleeding edge" hardware doesn't make sense financially.

I guess my point is that we're all different and all interested in different things. Sometimes I go to the front page and see very little that interests me, but you can't dictate what the news will be - only tell it as it happens.

Of late there's been a lot more news posted a lot more frequently on the front page (thanks people!), and so I think it's pretty much a case of something for everyone.

Hi Spike, check out the stories that seem to attract follow up posts by tech spot members. You'll see it's primarily the types of stories I listed. Anyway, I hope this doesn't disqualify me from the contest, because I really would like to see things improve and I really felt strongly enough about it that I had to post my opinion here. I also think constructive feedback is appreciated here, otherwise this particular forum we are in wouldn't exist. I also believe the quality of the stories is generally good, but probably if more stories of the type that attract people to post are available, then more activity will occur. Another suggestion would be to post stories on all manner of topics, but to have a system where popular stories filter to the top of the home page, and less popular stories to the bottom. Also, a way to customise the news would be useful to members, so people who are interested in ISP news can have a focus on that for example. One really cool aspect of slashdot is the facility for members to post their own stories. The great thing about that is the readers determine what they read, and the popularity of what they read.

Our news coverage cater the PC Enthusiast and we try to post the most relevant information available every day. It's obvious that interests among our readers will vary a lot from new products, to security, and gaming, and everything in between.

So it will also happen that not all news posted during the day will be interesting to you, but some will, and some others will at least help you keeping up with the latest trends, and news.

As far the contest goes, it's not our intention to have you posting in every topic possible, but rather an incentive to have you participating more often when you feel like it.

Back