Question about 1080p video and 5.1ch audio support

Is pretty much every cheap laptop strong enough to output 1080p video and 5.1 surround sound audio?

• Total voters
Lets me start off by saying I really hope someone can help me with this. Have been trying so many forums and just can't seem to get the information I need. (and I thought it was simple question :confused:)

So here it goes...

I want a cheap laptop to connect to my receiver with an hdmi cable. The receiver has 5.1ch surround sound (so it outputs the audio to the 6 boxes). The video output of the receiver is going to a 1080p projector, also with hdmi.
And if I'm right, this setup should work cause the audio and video can all go through the hdmi cable. And pretty much every new laptop has an hdmi port.

But my question is: how good does the laptop have to be to be able to produce the 1080p signal and the 5.1 surround sound (the output would go to external devices). Can every new bought laptop do that (even the cheaper ones)? Or does a laptop need a bit better specs for that?

For example: alot of the cheaper laptops have an 'Intel Celeron' processor and an 'Intel HD Graphics' videocard. Also the screen of the laptop itself is 720p most of the time. Could a laptop with these specs produce 1080p and 5.1 audio, or are the processor and videocard (or something else) not strong enough for that?

An example of those cheaper laptops I'm talking about: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-S21e-20-80M40003GE.146582.0.html

As long as you go with a newer i3 or faster you should be fine. I would personally avoid the Celerons though they have gotten faster in the last few years.

Back