Question about a floppy drive cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a motherboard for a computer of mine and installed it into a new tower. I have a two year old hp pavilion and took the hard drive, the floppy drive, and the monitor. The problem I am having is that the connecter on my new motherboard has all of the pins and the cable for the foppy drive has one of the holes plugged (uses a key, i think its called). I know I can get a cable that doesnt have the plug, but the connection on the back of the floppy drive is missing a pin. Is there such a cable with one end with a plug and the other end without any? Or do i have to get a different floppy drive. I dont use the floppy at all but still would like to have the option.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

The end of the floppy cable with some wires 'crossed', should go on the floppy-drive.
Watch that the red- or blue-coloured ribbon is at pin 1.

Cable is the same on both ends

Both ends are the same and have a plug. I see which end goes to the drive and which goes to the board because they are labled. But the one that goes to the board has a plug in the same spot as the other end and the board has all of the pins which makes it unable to connect. Is there a cable I can buy that has one end totally open and one end with a plug?
appreciated the responses
thanks

You don't need the plug in the hole at all.. If the floppy drive itself doesn't have a pin there then it doesn't really matter whether the cable has a hole or not, does it?

Yes, you can find a floppy cable with all open holes.

Check to see what kind of cable your friends have, because sometimes the companies use exclusice pin layouts to fit their needs. This is because most home users buy mini-tower and companies have to fit a lot of stufff in relatively cramped space.
If you say you dont use a floppy then dont invest in it, floppies are extremely slow and not trustworthy, I would suggest you gat a flash drive instead, nowadays all computers have a USB port, and flash can hold way higher quanities of data plus they are quite cheap nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back