TechSpot

Question about a home network using a Linksys WRT54GS2

By magaman598
Oct 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If I'm able to, how would I go about running a network hub from an existing port on the router?

I.E. Modem->Router->PCs/Hub->TV/PC

In theory I'm trying to run a wired connection to my room and have the ability to have my PC/TV and any other devices connected to the network physically, my wireless strength isn't exactly good and it's very inconsistent at best when it comes to my internet speeds makes it a bit harder to watch Netflix/Play games.

Any insight would be wonderful!
  2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,463   +622

Modem > Router >

Then use a LAN port on the router to connect to a LAN port on the hub.
  3. TheHawk

TheHawk TS Enthusiast Posts: 191   +7

Hey magaman598. I don't know how many devices you want to " wire" into your network, but I would use a switch, not a hub. The video should provide some clarity.

4. magaman598

magaman598 TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 275

I have both a switch and a hub, thanks for the video response Hawk! It helped tremendously between the decision of using the hub vs. switch.

I currently have 6 computers and TV on the network, mixture of Wired/Wireless. 2 of them are wired, and hopefully the TV and my PC will be wired soon, making 4 devices.

I do indeed like the thought of using the switch more, is there any type of settings I need to be concerned with when it comes to my router?
  5. TheHawk

TheHawk TS Enthusiast Posts: 191   +7

I would set the router up for WPA2 encryption and set the router to limit the amount of ip addresses the system uses.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.