Question about AMD Radeon 7990

DarkRegulator

Recently bought the GPU and realised that my current power supply wasn't quite good enough, so I went and bought an "emergency" PSU locally. Specifically an 850w PSU by Power Zone.

Now the GPU is amazing but sometimes I struggle to run some games on full settings, such as Assassins Creed 4, Shadow Warrior, etc. , and obviously I bought the card with intentions of running games on ultra with decently good FPS.

Now to the point, is it the PSU that could be holding me down? The recommended wattage on the AMD site stated it to be 750w. and I do believe that my system specs are pretty much good enough.

I'd also like to point out that a friend recently got a Radeon 7950 and claims to run above mentioned games on full settings with no problems. Again so he claims :p

Also included dxdiag info

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    34.6 KB · Views: 4
May we ask what you and your friends PC specs are? It could be other variables at fault.

Never mind! Just noticed the specs are listed in the txt file.

Since you have a 3770K system, I don't think that will be necessary. At first I didn't know what to expect, which is why I was asking. I forget DXDiag list out those specifications. I'm afraid your issues are out of my frame of experience.

Is Crossfire working? I believe its broken in a few of the games you mentioned so if enabled it could be slowing you down.

Wow, that actually did the trick. Although I cant completely disable crossfire, I could disable an option called "Frame Pacing". None the less that has solved the problem for now, so thanks a million.

Wow, that actually did the trick. Although I cant completely disable crossfire, I could disable an option called "Frame Pacing". None the less that has solved the problem for now, so thanks a million.
Heres part of the issue, I cant confirm what the problem is for every game, but the ones you listed do ten to have an issue with crossfire specifically because of things such as Physx and NVidia owning some of those games. Assasins Creed Series in specific intentionally makes crossfire horrible and almost unusable. The best option for some of the games is to disable CFX when using it on those games, there are only a few in particular that have that issue to the point that it harms performance.

I would also recommend downloading Radeon PRO as its an aftermarket software that can help performance in games that have issues with CFX, its a good tool.

Ofcourse, I didnt even know there was a Crossfire option until I realised the 7990 has dual GPU's, although it's not every game, for example I could run Arma 3 on ultra. And actually after some research I was pointed to Radeon Pro software.

Ofcourse, I didnt even know there was a Crossfire option until I realised the 7990 has dual GPU's, although it's not every game, for example I could run Arma 3 on ultra. And actually after some research I was pointed to Radeon Pro software.
Yea, what you basically have are 2 HD 7970ghz edition cards (Unless you have the black Powercolor Model) which still rely on CFX to handle things. The only big name games I can think of that specifically dont work well at all with CFX off the top of my head are Batman Arkham Series, Assasins Creed, and StarCraft 2 (Which honestly does not take much to run anyway).

Radeon Pro did fix issues I had on Starcraft, but I dont have the PC versions of the other two you listed. It should at least help you out.

Back