Question about AVG & ZoneAlarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a virus novice and I hope someone can help me answer these questions.

I recently was told by some friends that AVG Anti-Virus was a more effective program than any other virus software, and it was FREE.

I currently have Zonealarm Security Suite and run it and PestPatrol in the background at all times.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded AVG yesterday. I did not install AVG shield or the email protection. I didn't think I had it 'active' in my system. Today, I log in and AVG is downloading 'updates'. Immediately after the update finished, AVG ran a scan, and found 17 viruses!

Some of these are ones which have been mentioned on your forum, which is why I am posting this here. I have no idea how to save the log from the Test Results from AVG's scan, but all of the ones found say:
Virus identified Java/ByteVerify Status: Infected, Embedded Object

Because I have the free version, it does not delete the files, but I located them in my Documents and Settings\Owner\ApplicationData\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javipi\v1.0\jar\ directory.

Most are Trojans and I verified their locations in my directory.

I immediately ran Zonealarm's Virus scan after updating. It found 0 viruses.

I then went to your note about virus removal and I followed the preliminary instructions (look for the list of exe files in Windows Taskmanager). None of those files were present, so I didn't keep going with it.

One question I have is this; if these files are all in fact trojans, why do I not have any symptoms of infection? All the extensions on the files are either .idx or .zip. ie., c:\documents and settings\owner\application data\sun\java\deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\ar.jar-6a595dd3-78dbeb29.zip:\BlackBox.class

2. Why does ZoneAlarm pick up on these viruses? Is AVG better at virus detection... or are these in fact not viruses at all?

3. I know people complain about Norton, and I bought Zonealarm because 2 years ago, I got a severe virus infection while Norton was installed and active. Since, I've had no viruses at all.

Is AVG a better virus program than Zonealarm... or, maybe I'm paranoid, but did AVG download these 'viruses' to my system to get me to pay to register the 'free' software with a big scare tactic:p?

AVG is quite effective, as you found out.
It does NOT do any dirty tricks to make you pay for the full version.
Those Java files that AVG recognizes as trojans, contain the same coding as some trojans, and AVG scans deeper than most antivirus-programs.
SUN is aware of this 'AVG anomaly', and on its website SUN says that you can delete whatever you find in that Cache sub-directory. I had the same problem, deleted the cache-files, and that was it.

Thank you RealBlackStuff!

Are all the file folders in that Cache folder (under the Deployment folder) temp or unnessary files? In other words, would I lose anything if I just emptied the entire Cache folder, files and folders alike?

Question for RBS too about AVG

Last night I too uninstalled Norton, ran RegVac, reboot, installed AVG.
Ran updates, did complete Scan, all clean.

Game on-line few hours on CS.S very very laggy :(
At midnight was on-line doing some web search for more CS.S config file settings and tweaks, finally turn off IE and go to bed. This morning at 5am went to computer to check things here and I no internet access. The modem lights are only 3, not 4. So turn off/on again now they're 1 light on. Ran ipconfig, nothing. Checked NIC status in Device manager all good. Checked properties setting in TCP/IP still set for Auto obtain IP..good. I uninstalled AVG, reboot, Device Manager/NIC/Support, OH I see my IP is now set to 192.168.100.6 subnet 255.255.255.1. So did "Repair". Closed Window and it came back alive!!

So now I haven't reinstalled AVG. I'm not sure what happened if anything with AVG or was it by coincedence that my ISP had a server crash last night??

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

soaptech
You can delete anything in that cache.

kirock
That 192.168.100.6 is an IP from your router, as you have 'obtain IP automatically'.
I have no idea what CS.S is.
You should go to www.getfirefox.com and stop using IE other than for windoze-updates.
And check AVG's website if they have special settings for online gaming.
I would re-install it pronto!

Ok thanks, I'll check the AVG website for gamer settings and such. I know the 192.168.100.6 was wrong, recognized it from setting up a ICS network a few months back (I don't have router right now), my PC connects directly to the cable modem, the kids PC was not connected to mine at the time.

OK so you don't think AVG did anything weird to "turn-off" my NIC card or switch IPs on me? Prob just a coincidence then. I'm at work right now and home rig is off, but will reinstall AVG pronto when I get home and then download FireFox.

Thanks again RBS.
EDIT: PS Soaptech sorry for "bustin" into your thread.

Kirock
Wouldn't think AVG caused your problem. I've been running it on five machines for the last 4 months and it runs sweetly.

Thank you for all the help, I have a slightly better understanding of several things since coming to this forum.

Kirock, np at all:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back