TechSpot

Question about CCleaner Registry Cleaner.

By tm872110
Apr 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a question about the Registry Cleaner portion of CCleaner. I recently scanned and it found a good bit of registry locations. Is it safe to fix the issues that it finds? Is there any way to post a log file of what it finds?

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Using any registry cleaner carries risks, if you don`t know what it is you`re fixing. Make sure you make a backup of your registy, before running the reg cleaner.

Click start/run and type regedit into the run box and press the enter key. When the window appears maximise it. Click file/export and save a copy of your registry to wherever you want.

In the event of problems, you can restore the saved registy by importing the saved file.

Regards Howard :)

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

I've never backed it up using cc, and never had issues.

4. howard_hopkinso

I`ve never had any issues with the Ccleaner registry cleaner either, but I know of people that have. Therefore, it makes sense to take a cautious approach and backup the complete registry first, just in case. ;)

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,727   +888

6. howard_hopkinso

No I haven`t mate. However, the same rules apply to using any reg cleaner programme. Make a backup of your registry before deleting any reg keys. Also, make sure you know what it is you`re deleting beforehand.

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,727   +888

Ummm....

It's free. It has a back-up provision. And last but not (well, who knows) least, it made PC worlds' "Best Free Stuff" (a yearly issue tradition with them). It's never made a mistake on me. If you're curious you could get a copy here: http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html

ccleaner was mentioned last year in the best 100 feebies. ( I just don't think they like to mention a program 2 years in a row, since Firefox wasn't mentioned this year either).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.