Question about Celeron CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirm

Hiya folks,

I'm currently using a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 2.4 ghz Celeron CPU.
My Everest reading looks like this:

--------[ CPU ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2400 MHz (24 x 100)
CPU Alias Northwood-128
CPU Stepping D1
Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2
Original Clock 2400 MHz
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 24x / 24x
Engineering Sample No
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 8 KB
L2 Cache 128 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info:
Package Type 478 Pin uPGA
Package Size 3.50 cm x 3.50 cm
Transistors 55 million
Process Technology 6M, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu, Low-K
Die Size 131 mm2
Core Voltage 1.525 V
I/O Voltage 1.525 V
Typical Power 52.8 - 68.4 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 67 - 87 W (depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm

This isn't a Celeron D processor is it?

And if I were to upgrade to Celeron D 3.06 ghz, would it be much of an improvement? I'm told the newer Celerons are not quite as inferior as they used to be puke:

thanks

Attachments

• CPU.JPG
    CPU.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 9
All celerons with 128KBs of cache are jusr regular celerons. A 3Ghz Celeron D with 256KBs of cache would be a good improvement. You might want to try for a pentium.

Is there any way I can see how a 3.06 ghz Celeron D would stack up against a 2.5 ghz Pentium 4 (Northwood)?

I'd hate to spend $140 and see nothing.

Thanks

Northwoods are Socket 478 aren't they?

You'd be hard pressed to purchase one new now, you may be looking at Socket775? You'll need a new Motherboard.

You're right, I believe they are socket 478. I found a web site that sells them specifically for Dimension 2400's. It was quite a find, actually. Didn't think they were available any more.

In any case, are Pentium 4 Northwoods any better than Celerons (not Celeron D)of the same speed? Or should I go with the Celeron D that has a higher speed?

I'd hate to spend a bunch of money and find a 1-2 FPS increase in performance.

thanks

Any "True" S478 Pentium will run rings around a Celeron. Make sure your board supports Hyperthreading, and hopefully, Dual Channel DDR, though not mandatory.

If U can pick up a 2.8GHz or better P4 at a decent price, go for it.

A Celeron is essentially a Detuned Pentium, designed for low cost, like the Sempron is for AMD. Gives pretty good bang for buck, but certainly won't win any races.

My advice would be to scan the local "Trading Post" or whatever Classifieds you have and keep an eye out.

wirm said:
I'd hate to spend a bunch of money and find a 1-2 FPS increase in performance
if you're looking to increase your gaming performance, then don't get a Celeron. A celeron is a budget CPU good for everyday tasks like web browsing, however it is far from a gaming CPU.

also, to increase your FPS, the video card has more to do with it than the CPU does.

Check out my system specs. I used to run a Celeron 2.8ghz in this machine. Just changing to a Intel Pentium 4 2.8 w/HT (i found a nice deal one day) alone made about a 10-15 fps increase in performance gaming (BF 2, HL 2). Then upgrading RAM and HHD cut loading times.

well, celerons are that bad for gaming, but they surely arent meant to game, if u are interested in games, or think you will be buy a pentium 4 processor, i have a computer with a celeron d @ 3 ghz, its a good system to work around and stuff, but for gaming nah, thats where I use my amd 3500, but yeah, if u dont think ull do any gaming or cpu demanding tasks then get a celeron d, otherwise get a p4

Just to clear this up

Celeron (478)=northwood
Celeron D=Prescott core

It would be nice to find a p4 with a northwood core. They run alot cooler at the expense of less chache (among other things) But they are very very hard to find new, maybe dare i say ebay.

A decent p4 can be found here
A BIOS update may be needed to run any prescotts however. Do you know what chipset your board is using?

I know absolutely nothing about chipsets. Just that I have a dimension 2400.

I went to a web site called powerleap.com. They are selling celeron and pentium processors with prescot cores that have been modified to work with older dell systems like mine.

I bought the $99 3.06 Ghz Celeron D processor. I figured a $100 upgrade would be better than investing $200+ on a processor for a system that can't even support AGP or PCI-E.

I really hope to see some noticeable difference. At the very least, it's a %25 increase in clock speed :)

I don't really play the super-intensive games like FEAR or Far Cry. Mostly it's stuff like UT2k4 and some HALO thrown in. FYI, I get about 20 fps in UT2k4 and about 15 fps in HALO. If I can get them to 30 fps each, it would be awesome.

Do you think the new processor would do that?

2.4 ghz Celeron (Northwood) -----> 3.06 ghz Celeron D (Prescot)
1024 Mb DDR-SDRAM (1 stick is PC3200, the other is PC2700) :(
gForce FX 5500 PCI 128 MB
80 GB HD 7200 RPM

Celeron D is a improvement over regular celeron, but a P4 would be better than both a Celeron D is 133MHZ faster on the bus with 533MHZ compared to just 400MHZ for plain celeron

wirm said:
I really hope to see some noticeable difference. At the very least, it's a %25 increase in clock speed :)
the difference in clock speed will be whatever the CPU runs at.

there are more important factors for CPU performance than clock speed. simply put performance comes from maximizing the work that the CPU can do within each clock cycle, not simply the number of clock cycles that the CPU can reach.

if clock speed was an overall measure of performance, than a 2.4GHz celeron would perform just as well as a 2.4GHz Pentium4. but in reality the Pentium4 would run circles around the celeron.

the bottom line is this... a Celeron is a budget CPU and is not good for performance gaming (some even belive that celerons are crippled or partially defective pentiums)

AtK SpAdE said:
Just to clear this up

Celeron (478)=northwood
Celeron D=Prescott core

It would be nice to find a p4 with a northwood core. They run alot cooler at the expense of less chache (among other things) But they are very very hard to find new, maybe dare i say ebay.

A decent p4 can be found here
A BIOS update may be needed to run any prescotts however. Do you know what chipset your board is using?

Actually,
S478 Celeron= either Willamette(less than 2Ghz) or Northwood
Celeron D= either prescott (478 or 775) and Cedar Mill(775)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back