TechSpot

Question about FAT32 & NTFS

By N-Guy
Jan 21, 2007
  1. Would a FAT32 XP be able to detect NTFS harddrives?
    A friend of mine is struggling with his FAT32 HD being able to detect the NTFS portable drive. Using WinXP Media Center.

I remember long ago when I swtiched from WinME to WinXP, I partitioned two drives; Fat32 for ME & NTFS for XP.

Whenever I booted into ME, I could not see the NTFS drive but I can see both in XP.
    I'm just unsure whether that was just a feature ME was lacking or it was the drive format.

EDIT:

Nevermind, figured it out. The drive just wasn't assigned a drive letter, lol.

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,206   +424

XP can read NTFS drives inherently. ME cannot.

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

All the Windows OSes before XP cannot inherently recognize NTFS drives. There are utilities available which allow you to see them in DOS though.

4. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 1,980   +11

Can you suggest one please ?

I am planning to move to XP. Can you suggest a utility to handle NTFS drives in DOS mode ?

Thanks.

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Hiren's BootCD has a lot of utilities that can all be run from DOS, including the one you need. Just download it from any of the links here and unzip the file. Burn the ISO image you get onto a blank CD-R using Nero or any similar program and boot ur PC with that CD. It will give u a menu with a lot of options. Use the list on the website I linked you to to find that specific utility and run it. Good luck! :grinthumb

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Really? I thought NT 3.51, NT 4.0 and 2000 could. I guess I used them incorrectly then...

7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Oh, I forgot to mention 2000. I never knew about NT since I never used any of them. My bad. ;)

8. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 1,980   +11

Thank you

Thank you.

Sorry for this late response.

My PC took a dive. I've only just managed to get online.

Got to look at Howard's posting more seriously.

9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

No. FAT32 cannot read NTFS. XP however is backwards compatible and can read FAT32.

FAT32 is older technology.

10. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

??

Filesystems don't usually read each other.

11. Rage_3K_Moiz

Umm Tedster, weren't we talking about an OS reading NTFS/FAT32???
    And ravisunny2, it was no problem. Just ask me if you're stuck anywhere.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.