TechSpot

Question about "GetDataBack" for NTFS

By Kitana_One
Nov 24, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I searched through the rest of the forum on this program but no-one seemed to answer my following question.

The Problem: WinXP Pro SP2 now says that my 160Gb External FW Drive is Corrupted and Unreadable.

My friend suggested using "GetDataBack for NTFS" (Which is what the HDD was formatted as).

Now,.. my question is:

Will I need enough storage space on another drive to move the files over to either temporarily,permanently,.. or will it just restore my directory back to the way it was on the same disk?

How does this operate? The reason I ask is because this was my storage drive, I have a lot of very important files on it and I don't have enough space either as Temp Space or Permanent space to do that. Nor do I have the money to go and buy another drive to do this with. I simply need the files/directory restored.

Any help is much appreciated in advance!!!!!

-- Kitana_One
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

As a rule file recovery programs recover the files to another disk since any writing on the media under recovery can destroy data.
  3. Kitana_One

Kitana_One TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the answer!!!

Now to the second part of my question,.. when it does recover the files, can I have them spread themselves across several different drives of my choosing?

I believe I may have enough space to do that,.. but def. not enough on a single drive.
  4. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 700

If it is important data i would invest in a drive large enough so as not to take any chances...

patio. :cool:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.