Question about IP Address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tm872110

Just recently, I wanted to check to see if I was behind an NAT router by checking what my IP Address was. I used Command Prompt and typed in ipconfig. I got back one connection called 'Local Area Connection 3' which had a 192.168 IP address, which from what I understand, would mean I am more than likely behind a NAT router. However, I went to whatismyip.com, and got a completely different IP address. I am wondering which IP address my computer is using to connect to the Internet, and if it is indeed doing it behind an NAT router. Thanks for any help.

Your computer has the 192.168 address and you are indeed behind a NAT device. Whatismyip.com and all other internet sites see the public IP aadress of the router that is doing NAT.

I differ with u're opion as I just went there and because I have a static IP I know my address and the one I got was the public address.

If you're running a NAT router, then you're going to get a 192.168 address. NAT (Network Address Translation) is mainly used for subnetting a LAN (Local Area Network). That being said, 192.168 addresses are reserved for private use. What the NAT router does is takes your ip address, no matter what it is, and translates it into a new, unique ip address, so it can move through the internet properly.

Now, I'm assuming you're using this from home, so don't freak out on me if you're not. If you haven't tried the "tracert" command from command-line, try it. It'll show you where your connection is going, described as "hops". It'll also display the ip addresses of all the hops on the way to its destination, including the first hop from your computer.

Just curious...why do you need to know? Are you having network problems?

given:
Code:
ISP--modem--(wanside)router(lanside)--one/more systems
on any system attached to the router, ipconfig /all will report the internal
address of that system, the gatway address (likely to be the router(lanside) ),
and the public DNS address supported by the ISP.

If you login to your router admin page using a browser, you will see
the public address assigned to your (wanside)router, but DHCP or static assignment
if you have purchased one from the ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back