TechSpot

Question about memory under clock?

By Alex isswag
Nov 16, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. If your RAM is underclocked (and you didn't underclock it yourself) is that a sign of RAM failure?

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,657   +309

Sign of bad drivers or bad graphics utility.

3. Alex isswag

Alex isswag TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah I re-installed Windows, then upgraded the to 12 GB. 800 MHz. I'm fine w/ the under clock.

4. Alex isswag

All is fine.

5. Alex isswag

BTW, so my computer isn't dying?

6. Cycloid Torus

Don't think so, but it is possible that you have not picked the exactly right RAM for your system or described it exactly the right way in BIOS (setup).

Did you check the list of tested and accepted RAM on the motherboard maker's website?
    Can you review setting up RAM in BIOS in your motherboard manual?
    Lots of picky little details...sorry.

http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/456423-how-buy-ram-your-pc/ might help

7. Alex isswag

It's a laptop from Lenovo. A computer repair shop upgraded the the RAM. Should I just not worry?

8. Cycloid Torus

I'm getting confused... please give me an idea of when you bought it, when you first started having problems, if the prob lems changed when did that happen and when you got the RAM upgrade.

9. Alex isswag

I bought the laptop in February, I started having problems when I made a new user account, task manager displays 800 MHz instead of 1600. I downloaded Speccy and it said 8GB DDR3 800 MHZ. Then, I took it into a PC repair shop, and they upgraded it to 12.00 GB 800mhz.

10. Cycloid Torus

User accounts? : you should have at least 2: Admin and Limited (use limited most of the time)
    Run Speccy and run a game in separate windows; check Speccy - RAM speed should rise to meet the demand.
    Let me know.

11. Alex isswag

The PC Repair shop used 800 (They went by what task manager said, even though it was originally 1600) MHz ram to upgrade, though. So I don't think it will rise. But my computer isn't dying, right? Should I just not worry?

12. Cycloid Torus

So 4GB added RAM is 800Mhz - which will lower speed for all RAM to that level (like lowest common denominator) - my guess is that the clocks are adjusted lower too. This means you get almost the same performance.

It should not be a risk of harming anything - just a bit oddball. I run at 1066 instead of 1600 cause the RAM is cheaper.

Good luck.

13. Alex isswag

Just to clarify, my computer won't die? (I'm just REALLY worried about that)

14. Cycloid Torus

Running RAM with an underclock won't hurt. Computers die all the time, but not from that. Heat, dust bunnies, bad power from the outlet, static, dropping, spilled soda, stepping on the power brick - these are the things which shorten life in a computer.

Alex isswag likes this.