Question about memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just purchased the following motherboard/CPU combo...

pentium D 820 dual core 2.8ghz 800mhz FSB
asus p5vdc-x mobo

i also purchased 2 sticks of 512 pc2-5400 667mhz memory... however it's in a separate order and won't be here today with the mobo/cpu. so in order to get my machine running i decided to run to fry's and get some memory to use for the day. they have a 15 day return policy so i could return it if i wish.

i went to fry's and they did not have any pc2-5400 so i got a pair of 512 sticks of pc-5400 ddr2 675mhz memory.

now i realize that it's not the exact same memory but will these 4 sticks be compatible to run together? i realize they will run at the slower bus speed, but 667 isn't much different than 675. what do you recommend? i'm not really desperate for more than 1 gig of memory, so it's not a requirement that i keep this extra memory. should i get rid of the 667mhz mem and go with this stuff i just got?

Won't hurt anything to "try" running them together. Though if it works it will use the slower speeds. And if it does work, run it on memtest for a good LONG time for stability. And then run it through its paces within Windows when the time comes.

Otherwise, it is best to stick with RAM of the same make and model.

And I've never heard of someone running to Frys to buy RAM temporarily for ONE day! You must be really impatient!
If you need more RAM then what you ordered, then order some more of the same.
That's my advice.

impatient? of course! but i also have other plans this week/weekend/holiday coming up, and i wanted to get it all up and running ASAP.

anyway, i will probably return this memory tomorrow or the next day when the stuff i ordered arrives. if i feel the need for more i will order more from the same place. fry's was $30 more than buying online.

also, would a 450w PSU work for this? i have a geforce 7300 gs, cdrw, dvd+rw, audigy, single case fan, and don't run much else on here that draws power.

I've got a Memory ? Too

While on the subject, which type of memory has to be installed in identical pairs? I started building a pc that takes DDR 333. It's an Asus T-2.( That was a mistake , I'm a sucker for a sale):D

Morally Reprehensible

sketchy1 said:
i just purchased the following motherboard/CPU combo...

pentium D 820 dual core 2.8ghz 800mhz FSB
asus p5vdc-x mobo

i also purchased 2 sticks of 512 pc2-5400 667mhz memory... however it's in a separate order and won't be here today with the mobo/cpu. so in order to get my machine running i decided to run to fry's and get some memory to use for the day. they have a 15 day return policy so i could return it if i wish.

i went to fry's and they did not have any pc2-5400 so i got a pair of 512 sticks of pc-5400 ddr2 675mhz memory.

now i realize that it's not the exact same memory but will these 4 sticks be compatible to run together? i realize they will run at the slower bus speed, but 667 isn't much different than 675. what do you recommend? i'm not really desperate for more than 1 gig of memory, so it's not a requirement that i keep this extra memory. should i get rid of the 667mhz mem and go with this stuff i just got?

people who purchase items knowing that they are going to return them after a brief usage are manipulative deceivers. This practice is dishonest and drives up the cost of merchandise for the honest buyers. You are not unlike the chronic bankruptcy filer who has no scruples or self discipline. Shameful

Sorry, I guess that is a moral judgment rather than a technical one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back