Question about my Dell Dimension 4550

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, the reason your technical specifications sheet says your computer can only have up to 1GB of memory is because the chipset your motherboard is designed around can only address up to 1GB of memory. At the time your motherboard was built, 2GB of memory would have cost many hundreds of dollars, so almost nobody had that much memory. I have a similar motherboard and it had 512MB of DDR. At the time 512MB of memory was more than decent.

Your computer is running but you don't have access to all the installed memory. If you can, return the memory and purchase two 512MB dimms of DDR. They will be cheaper, and you may encounter memory errors if you keep the larger dimms.

He's in luck. His 2.0GHz Pentium 4 has a 400MHz front side bus, so he can ignore my previous post. My 2.0GHz Pentium IV had a 400MHz FSB, so I'm assuming his does too.

I had 1 X 512 then installed a 2nd stick so now 2 X 512. Just ran the crucial test and they are saying that it will work with 333mhz also 2 X 1gig

but the fine print says

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Wow, I just got home from school. Thanks for all of your replies.
I bought my ram from Crucial.com :p

Blind Dragon said:
If you right click on my computer and go to properties does it show 2 gigs?
Yes it does.

So I can keep my 2GB of ram and not worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back