TechSpot

Question about my new cpu cooler

By tastegw
Jan 23, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i purchased this cpu cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835128014 and it came yesterday. i installed it on my new rig (witch is yet to be completed ...still waiting on video card and psu) and ran into a question about it.

it has a seperate fan speed control that i can either use in a 3.5" floppy drive bay or a pci bay in the rear.

my question is, do i have to use this control? or can i just let me mobo tell it how fast to spin the fan?

in the instructions, it says to disable the mobo function in bios while using the extra control that came with the cooler, but it doesnt say i have to use it or if it is optional.

any advice on this matter i would love.
    thanks in advance.

2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

The control knob is optional. You can plug the fan directly into your motherboard, and have it control the fan.

3. tastegw

tastegw TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 246

thank you. it looked pretty ugly and would not match anything about my custom modified case.

as the knob is gray and silver and my case colors are black and yellow ;X

i was hoping it was optional, but didnt want to complete the system without checking first since the manual wasnt really that helpful.

4. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Wow that was a fast reply! I edited my original post to explain a bit more.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.