Question about OS's you dont use anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjo13

If I format my PC and put on a new version of an operating system,(Lets say I had windows 2000 pro and I format it and put on a windows xp full install) as long as the windows 2000 is no longer in use, can I sell/give it to someone since it is on no other PC?

Windows 2K unlike XP doesnt require activation and can be installed using any given key, as such if you sell the disk and key together then MS wouldnt know.

XP with its activation sequence means that the key is registered to your specific hardware combination if you then sell the disk and key the next user may have ring MS to get it activated, they may ask where it was acquired and the buyer would just state he bought the disk and key and all would be OK.

So in short yes your free to sell it as long as it is not installed on any other system.

Regards

That depends if you have a retail or OEM license.

If you have an OEM license, legally that license has to remain with the machine (or hardware) it was originally sold with. It doesn't matter what you "can" do, because that's the facist way that Microsoft operates their licensing.

If you have a retail license, the rules are a bit different.

Overall however, Microsoft tries to discourage people from ever transferring ownership of a Windows license.

However, what are they gonna do? So go for it.

Os

Well the reason I ask is my boss bought 20 Win 2000 pro a few years ago full retail versions to use here at work. We have since bought new PCs and they all have XP Pro. The 2000 disks are sitting in a box with 20 Windows ME disks full license too. He wants me to get rid of them. I figure they could be sold instead. They all have COA with them and the books that came too. So do the Windows ME.

So you think I could sell these and we wouldnt get in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back