Question about PSU and performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphmex

Hello, i hope someone can help me on this: Is there a difference on performance (CPU and videocard) if i have a cheap PSU or a good one, even when both have sufficient Wattage? or the only problem is that it will shut off when it´s overloaded?
I have a cheap 350 watt PSU and it works normally very hot and i´ve had 2 or 3 shutdowns eventually.
I mean i can live with some shutdowns, but if there´s performance loss, i will look for a better PSU immediatelly.

Thanks!

Specs:
Pentium D 3.4 Ghz.
1 GB RAM 2x512 DDR.
80 GB IDE HD, 40 GB IDE HD.
ATI Radeon X1300 512 MB.

you should change it, that PSU might fry your mother board. So it's always nice to concern a little more on PSUs. they'll last longer and there's no risk in killing other components.

What He Said.......

I think what blindobject meant to say is; you almost can't have too big a power supply. If you think you need a 350 watt PSU, stuff in a 450 watt PSU. It would only be running at 80% of capacity vs. 100% for the 350 watter. It would run cooler and live longer, saving you money and aggravation in the long run. Besides if it is the PSU shutting down your box, it's on the verge of a meltdown anyway.

I would recommend a high end PSU for anyone. My system isn't very demanding yet I have a Raidmax Volcano 630W PSU. So upgrade your power supply. It would suck to lose money because you wouldn't spend $60-$150 on a good PSU.

If your PSU is adequate you won't gain any performance form a better one. You may be able to get a more efficient one and and save a minuscule amount of power. With a extra powerful PSU you may be able to overclock more and you will have more headroom for upgrades. Most OEM manufactures of computers put in a PSU that barely is sufficient.

A Psu is one of the most important items in your system. NEVER skimp on this. Get a good PSU and save yourself some headaches.

since this is about PSU's..is there a specific way to connect the power connectors to your hd,dvd/cdrom,videocard,soundcard,..etc etc...or does it really matter? i have a PCI fan connected to the same power connector as my video card (x800 xt) comp shuts down after awhile of playing cs. i get no high then 65 c on temps during game play so i'm sure it isn't my card. its probably the power supply. will post specs and type of psu when i get home from work. (def have a 550watt psu though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back