Question about RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry about this newbie question..
i have a twinmos DDR DIMM PC3200 256mb in my slot and i want to put on my second slot a PQI DDR-266 128mb RAM..is it ok to put the PQI on my second slot or there would something go wrong or ruin my mobo?

It will not hurt your motherboard but it will slow down your computer because your Twinmos runs at 200MHz while the PQI runs at 133MHz so your motherboard will slow down the front side bus to 133MHz to allow the slower memory to run and at the same time will under-clock your processor by 67 times your CPU multiplier.

I'm assuming that your front side bus normally runs at 200MHz and not at 133MHz. Please post your computer specifications for further speculations.

The computer will run at the speed of the slowest module. You are looking at 400 MHz in the PC3200, while the other one is PC2100 266 MHz.

You won't notice much difference in actual use, but it won't do you a lot of good either. Performance will be helped hardly at all. It is the memory capacity that will make the difference. And you do not have enough memory for most tasks if you are going online. Once upon a time 256 mb was adequate, but with Microsoft updates and the automatic updates of other software, you are probably getting hesitation or freezes.

You can buy a second module of 512 mb PC3200 for $25 at zipzoomfly.com with free shipping.

thanks for the help. :)
so, it means that i have to buy a RAM with same specification with my twinmos, or the same CAS latency.

Thanks again for the help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back