Question about setting up wireless on a computer with a USB wireless adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all your help! Im all fixed up now, got everything transferred over to the new HDD, got the new HDD installed and everything is working wonderful now. I tried checking to see if the failed HDD was under warranty but they couldnt determine that with my serial number, I still have it but will try again for warranty.

I do have a new problem now, if you want to try and help me with this one! I have a Gateway Ationtec Wireless DSL modem, GT704-WG installed, now my son has a school computer we need to hook up to the wireless internet, I bought a Belkin N wireless USB adapter for his computer, downloaded the software and plugged in the USB adapter , the light blinks blue on the Belkin but it shows no wireless connectivity? what am I doing wrong? am I suppose to do something on my Gateway? or do i use the same setup I did when installing the DSL modem on my first computer? Ive been at this all morning and Im ready to toss in the towel! my PC has Windows XP home ED. and sons PC has Windows XP PRO, mines is a Dell 4500 and his is a HP 7540.
any advise?? please

Have you properly setup the wireless network? Installing the USB adapter is only one part of the wireless networking. Run the wireless setup in the Control Panel. Follow the instructions carefully

You are right nickc,
the DSL or Cable modem connects to the wirellees router and both wired and wireless devices are networked through the wireless router. It is really not difficult. Manuals and instructions are a must read though

Got wirless connected

First, sorry it took me a little time to respond back, have been sick but better now. Secondly, thanks to all who offered suggestions or advice on how to get my wireless internet hooked up. After several hours on the phone with my DLS, wireless router modum tech help and my belkin UBS adapter it was figured out, something so simple I feel real embrassed admitting it but will for anyone else who may come across the same problem!!

I didnt have my wireless internet turned on, on my DLS box!!! just logged onto the interface, went to the correct page, turned on wireless, where it had been marked 'off' and wah la! it came one. but it when we turned on the WEP and typed in a security key code my PC with the belkin wireless adapter would lose connection, and would only come back on when we turned off the WEP security key code, the tech support person said it wouldnt hurt anything just that my neighbor could access my internet if they were using wireless. Is this true? is it ok to leave it with no security hooked up?

thanks all,

HUMBUG!

If I can get onto your network I will get the next available IP address on your LAN.
Unless you know how to setup the firewall correctly, ALL USERS on your LAN
will have access to your file shares.

AT LEAST setup WEP encryption for wireless access (it's better than nothing
and will stop naive users).

Another technique is to use MAC filtering to associate the IP addresses on your
LAN. This will again defeat naive users from attaching to your network.

Specs in thread?

[P.S. Why keep writing Specs in thread??
Write all necessary thing in your public profile and you'll save a lot of time.]

I'm sorry not quite sure I understand what you mean when you say, "why keep writing Specs in thread? and write all neccassary things in my public profile?" Are you talking about updating my public profile with all my computer information? or are you referring to my questions asking for help?

Am I not suppose to be replying back in the thread? I need help with one other minor PC problem but now Im not sure how to ask it? in public profile or the forum.
sorry dont mean to be a pain.
thanks,
alex

you're doing fine. The system specs are very general and problems are frequently
specific to devices, eg your Modem/Router/Nic &/o wireless adaptor.

don't fuss; 'just communicate' and provide the nits as needed.

jobeard said:
HUMBUG!

If I can get onto your network I will get the next available IP address on your LAN.
Unless you know how to setup the firewall correctly, ALL USERS on your LAN
will have access to your file shares.

AT LEAST setup WEP encryption for wireless access (it's better than nothing
and will stop naive users).

Another technique is to use MAC filtering to associate the IP addresses on your
LAN. This will again defeat naive users from attaching to your network.

Thats another thing jobeard, when my 2nd PC's firewall was turned on it wouldnt make connection to the wireless network, in Network Connections it said 'firewalled' so they had me turn off my firewall, i can only turn it back on AFTER I've got connection.

Ok, so how do I go about setting up WEP encryption for wireless access? Whenever we'd try clicking the box for WEP and then typing in a key it would cause my 2nd PC to lose its wireless connection. first tech I spoke with told me to use my telephone #, had to be total of 10 digits, 2 digits spaced apart, like: 60 23 75 14 94, that didnt work, so the second tech person told me not to use my home number for my key and to just pick 10 digits, so I did, in the example format above, still did not work. The belkin tech support guy told me to call my Actiontec supprt back and tell them I need the correct key that its not right? I don't think they know what they're doing, I spend long minutes on the phone with them with no results. What should I do from here? I dont know what MAC filtering is, never heard of it and I dont know how to get the correct key? and I dont want anyone having access to my files!! what should I do now?
thanks

alexandriaz said:
Thats another thing jobeard, when my 2nd PC's firewall was turned on it wouldnt make connection to the wireless network, in Network Connections it said 'firewalled' so they had me turn off my firewall, i can only turn it back on AFTER I've got connection.
then you need a rule to allow DHCP and BOOTP at the top of the firewall list
allow tcp/udp in/out src any dest any ports 53,67​
Ok, so how do I go about setting up WEP encryption for wireless access? Whenever we'd try clicking the box for WEP and then typing in a key it would cause my 2nd PC to lose its wireless connection. first tech I spoke with told me .... I don't think they know what they're doing,

I dont know what MAC filtering is, never heard of it and I dont know how to get the correct key? and I dont want anyone having access to my files!! what should I do now?
thanks

Ok, let's go for MAC Filtering FIRST. However, even before that, I suggest
you update the Belkin FIRMWARE (be sure to note the model and version numbers -- it is very specific).

You to this and I'll get the User's Guide for the follow-up....

jobeard said:
then you need a rule to allow DHCP and BOOTP at the top of the firewall list
allow tcp/udp in/out src any dest any ports 53,67​

"How do I do that? do I go to a certain place on my computer to do this or open my firewall and go from there, type something in, what? not too computer literate but getting there slowly!! "

Ok, let's go for MAC Filtering FIRST. However, even before that, I suggest
you update the Belkin FIRMWARE (be sure to note the model and version numbers -- it is very specific).

You to this and I'll get the User's Guide for the follow-up....

"I'm updating the Belkin FIRMWARE now."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back